Cubemap presentations scripting status?

Forums: Cubemap presentations scripting status?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Cubemap presentations scripting status?

Postby ristoraven » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:46 pm

ristoraven Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:46 pm
Hi,

Could it possible to have a sitrep (situation report) considering the current state of cubemap scripting?

- How far ahead is the Standalone node based editor for cubemap presentations?
- If I compile now with lua-scripting (as a noob), will it work also in the future?

And another question, did the 18k cubemaps work also in google cardboards?

Thanks
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Cubemap presentations scripting status?

Postby Goldorak » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:49 pm

Goldorak Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:49 pm
We are planning to update ORBX player next week, in tandem with some announcements being made at Oculus Connect 3.

We are introducing a new lua 'render job' node in 3.04 - which can combine a multiple render target nodes (e.g. animation, multiple camera or layers) as well as previously global scripts, such as turntable, batch or daylight, and wrap them in a single output ORBX media output folder, including basic JSON+lua needed to play it back (e.g. multi-view, animation and multi-light are auto-generated) .

If you render this locally, so you can test the output in the ORBX\Media folder on your phone.

If you use ORC, it will compress the output per device (e.g. mobile VR, WebVR, PC VR) and, if you choose to publish to the web, generate a public short URL on x.io. This will be based on your jobID GUID i.e. http://x.io/ygt6ue or username+projectname[+optversion] eg: http://me.x.io/ristovan/myvrrender/

This means you can connect any browser or app that has partial or full ORBX media support (currently OMP, but soon Samsung Internet) to view the media file. You can also embed or link an HTML page to the ORBX media file, and use it as a live overlay or mult-light source in the next version of OMP. We are working out with Samsung on how JS can talk to the ORBX environment enclosing the live web page texture.

OMP will be supporting GC - see Mattel project. We just started Hololens support. For PC , we are going to be deploying ORBX Media Server - this allows us to much more than OMP does on mobile, including local light field rendering and high resolution glTF mesh support, and 49K stereo cube map streams at 120 fps from disk.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Cubemap presentations scripting status?

Postby ristoraven » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:49 pm

ristoraven Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:49 pm
Thanks!

There's whole lot of stuff going on. Great.

One question in the back of my head is, how do we artists get to sell our presentations in the future? I see a lot of "youtube" style platforms, where the "show" is behind an url and it's very easy to view and for free. Such as http://www.vizor.io.

Basically what I would like to see is an Octane Standalone authoring tool for cubemaps, audio, basic transitions between cubemaps, then a compiler that would make a neat package that could be then sent, for example, to Samsung/Oculus/Google -store(s) for review and possible release for xx price..

Feels like this VR technology is going on in such a fast phase, behind the scenes, that there's no time to produce anything and release it for public, before it's already an old tech.. :I
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion