v3.1 Release Date?

Forums: v3.1 Release Date?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: v3.1 Release Date?

Postby tomasnihlen » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:01 am

tomasnihlen Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:01 am
Is there som indication on ETA? Is it going to be late 2016 or even late 2017?

Need to know if Octane is an option for my Mac Pro with dual D700 or if I need to bite the bullet and go with Vray for instance.

Would deeply appreciate an indication.

Thanks!
tomasnihlen
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby timchege » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:14 am

timchege Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:14 am
Not sure if this helps; Alpha of 3.1 was due to be released this summer (see post: https://home.otoy.com/octanerender-3-an ... ap-update/). I'm not sure if that happened being that its now autumn, also no mention of the beta or full release ETA on the post.

I too I'm keen on the full release mainly for the cross-platform GPU capability allowing use on AMD-based Macs.
timchege

Postby Goldorak » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:10 am

Goldorak Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:10 am
tomasnihlen wrote:Is there som indication on ETA? Is it going to be late 2016 or even late 2017?

Need to know if Octane is an option for my Mac Pro with dual D700 or if I need to bite the bullet and go with Vray for instance.

Would deeply appreciate an indication.

Thanks!

We have Octane 3 fully working on AMD. It is actually ahead of 3.1. The problem is AMD drivers (for complex GPGPU apps) is incredibly unstable. As it stands, if we released Octane on AMD, they would break the app with every driver update. They need to fix this before we can commit to releasing this to users. They are aware of it and looking into how to resolve.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Refracty » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:51 am

Refracty Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:51 am
Once again:

Good to hear about the progress.
So with 3.1 it will definately be possible to use (at least) the power of a pc with nvidia gpus from a "client" Mac machine with ATI cards ?!
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Goldorak Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:45 pm
Refracty wrote:Once again:

So with 3.1 it will definately be possible to use (at least) the power of a pc with nvidia gpus from a "client" Mac machine with ATI cards ?!

Yes, we are working on this feature now for release in 3.1. In this 'headless' scenario tone mapping is done on the local machine, and this will have a CPU fallback with 3.1. This means Intel,AMD PC/Macs or even tablets can run Octane locally as-is, while using network rendering to drive the live viewport, even though no local CUDA GPUs are on the machine.

One more thing. Since Octane geometry size is limited by the GPU with the lowest VRAM in the liked device/network list, bypassing your now ancient D500/D700 cards on the MacPro with this method allows you to fully use 12 GB VRAM on a Titan X (loaded as slave on some other PC in your office) as if it were your primary render card without issues. This can means you can load huge scenes the MacPro could never handle if it was running as the master render node (e.g. with AMD support). So above and beyond getting Octane working across the MacOS platform, this allows more powerful render power to be seamlessly leveraged from your local MacPro, iMac, MacBook or MBP running Octane.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Dmi3ryd » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:37 am

Dmi3ryd Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:37 am
It would be nice to see correct rounded edges feature.
I'm really looking forward to this.
Win 8.1/64 | Geforce GTX780TI | Core I7 970 | 24GB
Dmi3ryd
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:32 pm

mojave Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:32 pm
Dmi3ryd wrote:It would be nice to see correct rounded edges feature.
I'm really looking forward to this.

We are working on it ;)

viewtopic.php?p=291044#p291044
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby had » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 pm

had Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:04 pm
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the 3.1 release. I understand you might not be answering all of them for commercial reasons but would be great if you can tell us some stuff.

A /
I 'm waiting since a couple of months to buy octane as I read new bundles can comes with 3.1... Could you tell me if you re still planning in having these plugins bundles (for instance octane + c4d +houdini) so I can save a bit on it ?

B/
What about the progress with the denoiser (altus) ? I understood altus was working with octane (cutting render time by half) but would it be properly integrated ? Because without the integration the workflow and all the passes you need to provide is a bit of a nightmare.

C/
Same question about substance, any proper integration planed ? I m starting learning substance and maybe I m totally wrong how it works but one good thing would be to not have to export/link maps all the time but more loading a substance file with all the maps included in it.

D/
I also read the license model can change to a subscription model. I am a bit confused if Octane VR is already this subscription offer. Does VR stands for virtual reality or is it just a regular octane version limited to 2 gpus ? And why can t we have it in germany ??

E/
Any chance to see the 3.1 coming before next year ?

Thank you,
H.
had
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3dworks » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:56 pm

3dworks Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:56 pm
Goldorak wrote:

Yes, we are working on this feature now for release in 3.1. In this 'headless' scenario tone mapping is done on the local machine, and this will have a CPU fallback with 3.1. This means Intel,AMD PC/Macs or even tablets can run Octane locally as-is, while using network rendering to drive the live viewport, even though no local CUDA GPUs are on the machine.

One more thing. Since Octane geometry size is limited by the GPU with the lowest VRAM in the liked device/network list, bypassing your now ancient D500/D700 cards on the MacPro with this method allows you to fully use 12 GB VRAM on a Titan X (loaded as slave on some other PC in your office) as if it were your primary render card without issues. This can means you can load huge scenes the MacPro could never handle if it was running as the master render node (e.g. with AMD support). So above and beyond getting Octane working across the MacOS platform, this allows more powerful render power to be seamlessly leveraged from your local MacPro, iMac, MacBook or MBP running Octane.

wow, this 'headless' feature is great news! can't wait to see it released... any chance to get an intermediary release with this feature until the AMD stability issues are ironed out? cheers markus
Specs: Apple MacBook Pro M1 max 64GB 2TB, MacOS 12.5 / MacPro 5,1 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8G, MacOS 10.13.6 / Mac Pro 5,1 with AMD RX5700 8G, MacOS 12.3.1 / HP Z600 with NVIDIA 3060 RTX 12G, Windows 10 pro + Netstor GPU box, 4 x NVIDIA GTX 980ti 6G.
3dworks
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:39 am

Goldorak Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:39 am
3dworks wrote:
Goldorak wrote:

wow, this 'headless' feature is great news! can't wait to see it released... any chance to get an intermediary release with this feature until the AMD stability issues are ironed out? cheers markus

If a stable version is working ahead the first 3.1 release (dependent on OSL getting out of QA), we might see if we can put it in an interim 3.0.x update (like we just did with improved rounded edges for 3.05, which is about halfway to the final version going into 3.1)
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion