City at the edge of Metaverse

Forums: City at the edge of Metaverse
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

City at the edge of Metaverse

Postby ristoraven » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:04 pm

ristoraven Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:04 pm
Had to write this down and publish this, in order to get some sleep tonight. :)

Because the idea of a City in the Metaverse started to haunt me and because all the info I gather here, it would seem plausible if everything runs in the cloud and there is firepower behind Otoy that could be upscaled if demand grows... so why not a little bit of brainstorming.

City is made of city blocks, blocks are made from single houses, houses are made out of rooms. Between houses there's roads, sidewalks, parks.. When going between these, it's just a link between light field scenes.

What people could do there, in the City in the Metaverse?

What people can do in a real city?

- wander around
- go shopping
- go meet people in cafes, in restaurants, in clubs, in parks..
- go play games. Pool, darts, tennis whatever.
- go for work.

People could do everything that in this city in the metaverse also. Any online store now could move their catalogs into this city and sell their actual stuff, like in any other website.

People could also play traditional games, gamble.. anything what people can now do online.
In the metaverse city, people could also buy a ticket to such adventures people could not believe right now, if VR games would be simply integrated into this city, to lets say to the central station where "train" or Beem me up station would take user forexample into Elite Dangerous game.

Heck. Whole internet and what people do now online, could be turned into a one big, planet size city, with constellations of other planets.

What it takes?

ORBX, x.io and ORC. Scaled up as the city/usage grows.

Monetarization?

People would pay some fee for the time spent there. Monthly fee? People would spend money in real stores there - some fee to Otoy from any purchase.

The city could be arranged so that the "downtown" would be cheap, then "uptown" would cost more, but it would be more stunning and classy. Then some really high class areas, VIP, everything is shiny and amazing - higher cost to get in and stay in.

Like in real world.

To make this happen, this would require a lot of talents to create everything. I wouldn't make any strict city plan, because I am a firm believer in unrestrained artistic freedom, other than models should be made to resemble "downtown", "uptown" and "high class". Then of course, some benefits / rewards to the artists. Something what would mobilize the talents to use their talents. :)
For example, if this gets to be successful artists could sell their "houses" what they have built to ordinary users. Once again, fees to Otoy. And free access to all areas in the city? I think this could have enough incentive to get creative?

I honestly believe, that with Octane Render quality, this would beat any other attempts in creating a metaverse web.

PS. if this would grow big, it could be imagined that local "Walmart" would have low pressured tubes coming from their store into peoples homes and if people would buy from "walmart" in the Metaverse a six pack of beer, real Walmart close by would send it coming trough the tube. Or via drone, those are coming too. I heard that in Canada there's at some town couple trucks driving around and delivering normal groceries to people what they have bought online. So this is coming too. No need to go out unless people wants to. Little royalty from any purchase to Otoy..
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: City at the edge of Metaverse

Postby regionfive » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:08 pm

regionfive Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:08 pm
What you are describing here is just like a visually more advanced Second Life.
I think that something like this will be out there soon but i don´t think it would entirely consist of the otoy ecosystem.
Steam would be more likely to host something like this. And I don´t think Lightfields are the way to go. It would have to be highly interactive, so it´s more likely that a game engine has to be involved.
As Otoy is about to support texture baking to Unreal Engine, this might be the way to go.
I don´t know about the progress of brigade, but at the moment it looks way too static to have the ability of interaction.
Let´s see what´s coming. One thing is sure: There is no more fiction in science fiction ;)
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: City at the edge of Metaverse

Postby Refracty » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Refracty Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:42 pm
This sounds like Second Life 2.0.
Basically this will be part of the VR-driven scenarios that wait around the corner.
But I guess that financing wise no fee is needed. This environment will be payed by advertising the same way companies flooding public space with products and services like in the real world.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion