ORBX viewer 2.0

Forums: ORBX viewer 2.0
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: ORBX viewer 2.0

Postby Goldorak » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:11 pm

Goldorak Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:11 pm
kimusan wrote:
Goldorak wrote:Yes, if you drop 001.jpg-300.jpg you can load an image sequence (in any format, including cube maps) as follows (can be EXR or PNG but they night take longer to load)

{"title":"MyCubeMapvideo_VR",
"author":" Goldorak",
"url:","*.jpg",
"loop":true,
"fps":60,
"scrub":0.1}

This will allow you to develop and test your content locally. We use ORC for 100+ frame 18K renders at scale, and further leverage the ORC render nodes to encode .OKX frames (OKX == device specific GPU image data specifically exported for an ORC supported target platform). This can be as high as 9 mins/frame for Gear VR compression compatible with Note 4 and later - which is longer than the render itself in some cases.

ORC generates a default JSON (you can edit it) that is included in an ORBX package along with all the frames for the job on completion. You can fetch it from a private URL, and even publish this URL to share with others. This way you can treat the render job a as a pure movie or navigable scene on its own right out of ORC.

Goldorak, I can't get this to work. The JSON file is named 001.json and the animation files are 001.jpg - 030.jpg, and I am running ORBX 2.0.7 (BTW in general Update does not seem to work at all on my Note 4 and Gear VR so I have to uninstall the app I want to update and then install it).

The app update problem is a known bug and our top priority. We haven't yet been able to resolve why this is happening with Oculus. It may or may not be our app. Our support resources are focused on this right now, but if you PM Jax he might be able to help you out today.

Just off the top of my head, could you try adding a prefix before the frame number in all the files, and the JSON too? If that fixes the issue, please let us know, so we can add a fix in the next update if needed.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jax » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Jax Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:24 pm
kimusan wrote:
Goldorak wrote:Yes, if you drop 001.jpg-300.jpg you can load an image sequence (in any format, including cube maps) as follows (can be EXR or PNG but they night take longer to load)

{"title":"MyCubeMapvideo_VR",
"author":" Goldorak",
"url:","*.jpg",
"loop":true,
"fps":60,
"scrub":0.1}

This will allow you to develop and test your content locally. We use ORC for 100+ frame 18K renders at scale, and further leverage the ORC render nodes to encode .OKX frames (OKX == device specific GPU image data specifically exported for an ORC supported target platform). This can be as high as 9 mins/frame for Gear VR compression compatible with Note 4 and later - which is longer than the render itself in some cases.

ORC generates a default JSON (you can edit it) that is included in an ORBX package along with all the frames for the job on completion. You can fetch it from a private URL, and even publish this URL to share with others. This way you can treat the render job a as a pure movie or navigable scene on its own right out of ORC.

Goldorak, I can't get this to work. The JSON file is named 001.json and the animation files are 001.jpg - 030.jpg, and I am running ORBX 2.0.7 (BTW in general Update does not seem to work at all on my Note 4 and Gear VR so I have to uninstall the app I want to update and then install it).

Hi Kimusan,

We are aware of the App update issue, we are working with Oculus to resolve this issue for our next release.

also, if you send me your project package, I could help with the debugging.
Jax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby regionfive » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:24 pm

regionfive Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:24 pm
Hi,

I have a finished scene now, consisting of different cubemaps and video overlays.
It´s working and I am happy with it.
Question: Is it somehow possible to pack all those files into an orbx file now with the Standalone or do I have to wait until V3?

Cheers,
René
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 360precision » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:01 pm

360precision Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:01 pm
regionfive wrote:Hi,

I have a finished scene now, consisting of different cubemaps and video overlays.
It´s working and I am happy with it.
Question: Is it somehow possible to pack all those files into an orbx file now with the Standalone or do I have to wait until V3?

Cheers,
René

Do you video overlays have an alpha channel ? If so how did you get the to work ? Any chance you can share you script ?

Matt
360precision
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby regionfive » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:09 pm

regionfive Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:09 pm
No my Videos don´t have Alpha Channels yet. But I´ll try this soon.
is h.264 mp4 capable of alpha channels anyway?
when png background cubemap image sequences are possible, maybe PNG sequences can be loaded as video overlays too?

here is the current state of the scene I already postet:
http://www.regionfive.de/downloads/Phoenix_VR_LUA.zip

any comments welcome. I did this scene to promote that short film.

@Goldorak: will it be possible to stream videosources from a web url?

cheers
René
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Chriz » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Chriz Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:45 pm
Hi there,

i have some problems with my soundfiles. In my lua there are 7 cubemaps and 6 WAVs linked together. For some reason the Player only plays 2 of the soundfiles.... Anybody else having the same experiences. Are there limitations? Any hints?

Best, Chriz

Edit 27.10.: OK,for the first time i used adobe audition CC to cut the audiofiles a bit. I guess the mistake was the outputWAV was in 32-bit. Maybe i am totally wrong - i am no audio expert - but i saved the same files again in 16-bit and now the orbx-player can load the music. :D This took me one day! :geek:
http://www.C9W.de - Win10 - Dual E5 2620v3 - Display 1 GTX 1080 / Render 1 3090 RTX - 96 RAM - C4D MSA - C4D Plugin version: current - Standalone: current
Chriz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Feature requests

Postby C360 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:16 am

C360 Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:16 am
I'm building several demos for a client using the lua scripts.

Within the (known) limitations it's a great tool if one is not building actual apps. This limits it use to demos instead of reaching a broader audience without exposing all source material of each presentation. I would love to be able to generate a single (even renamed zip, protected?) file that can be shared instead of a folder with all content, preferably downloadable from within the ORBX app itself.

Another feature I'd like to see is the use of the bluetooth gamepad as an input device, choosing an image or presentation from within the app is possible with the gamepad but once started I'd like to use the 'one' button as well as tapping the trackpad to actually click a hotspot. People using the Gear VR for the first time often miss the trackpad.

Finally, not being a programmer I'd really love a GUI for creating scenes, choosing images, videos and sound and adding hotspots and interaction in a rudimentary interface would seriously save a lot of time for me and I expect many others. This way the viewer could gain some real momentum.
-/-/-enri --- C360.NL
C360

Re: Feature requests

Postby regionfive » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:46 pm

regionfive Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:46 pm
C360 wrote:I'm building several demos for a client using the lua scripts.

Within the (known) limitations it's a great tool if one is not building actual apps. This limits it use to demos instead of reaching a broader audience without exposing all source material of each presentation. I would love to be able to generate a single (even renamed zip, protected?) file that can be shared instead of a folder with all content, preferably downloadable from within the ORBX app itself.

Another feature I'd like to see is the use of the bluetooth gamepad as an input device, choosing an image or presentation from within the app is possible with the gamepad but once started I'd like to use the 'one' button as well as tapping the trackpad to actually click a hotspot. People using the Gear VR for the first time often miss the trackpad.

Finally, not being a programmer I'd really love a GUI for creating scenes, choosing images, videos and sound and adding hotspots and interaction in a rudimentary interface would seriously save a lot of time for me and I expect many others. This way the viewer could gain some real momentum.

If you look a few posts further up, Goldorak explained that the orbx format is going be that zip. It seems to be possible to pack to .orbx with Octane V3. They even plan to provide a GUI for scripting. Looks like all your requests are already adressed.
If you could stream the videos would be great, so that you don´t have to pack the video content.

René
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Feature requests

Postby C360 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:55 pm

C360 Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:55 pm
regionfive wrote:
If you look a few posts further up, Goldorak explained that the orbx format is going be that zip. It seems to be possible to pack to .orbx with Octane V3. They even plan to provide a GUI for scripting. Looks like all your requests are already adressed.
If you could stream the videos would be great, so that you don´t have to pack the video content.

René

Ok, great ;-)

Just miss the Gamepad input, or did I fail to read as well? :roll:
-/-/-enri --- C360.NL
C360

Postby Goldorak » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:24 pm

Goldorak Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:24 pm
We have an updated 2.1 build that fully supports both ZIP packages as well as ORBX. This is not out yet, as we still don't have an answer as to why the Gear VR app update process is broken on Oculus Home...

RE: Zip packages - you won't get everything that ORBX supports (e.g. embedding MP4s, crypto, streaming, more advanced compression, publishing+versioning from ORC with OKX, etc.). However things that fit in the samples template model should work fine when packaged as ZIP.

For PC ORBX viewer (v.3) we hope to fully support high level authoring from Octane, using lua script nodes from your tool of choice. These can automatically export exact lua/JSON for the ORBX viewer . Advanced users can edit and experiment with output scripts and functionality exposed from these nodes, similar to .OCS XML text saved in current ORBX packages/project folders.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion