Maya IES octane light setup, how is it done?

Forums: Maya IES octane light setup, how is it done?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Maya IES octane light setup, how is it done?

Postby neuro » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:51 am

neuro Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:51 am
Apologies if this is documented somewhere but I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of how IES files plug into Octane. I tried using an OctaneTextureEmission plugged into an octane diffuse shader but wasn't clear on if it was working. The documentation seems to imply that I need to add a projection node to the projection field, but I'm not sure which one to use and if I do that, will the maya top level transform on the geo that the shader is applied to be used or do you transform the IES some other way?

thanks!
neuro

Re: Maya IES octane light setup, how is it done?

Postby neuro » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:46 pm

neuro Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:46 pm
Is there another forum that might attract more people familiar with this topic? To some degree id just like to make a spotlight and it seems like IES lights are the main way to do this. I don't think I can use standard maya lights.

Thanks for any insight!
neuro

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:21 am

bepeg4d Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:21 am
Hi,
unfortunately I am not a Maya user so I can't share a scene with you in this format, but I have created a simple scene in Standalone and exported the material via orbex. In theory you should be able to import at least the material in Maya or just open the scene in Standalone to see how the IES setup is made ;)
The trick is to load the IES file in the distribution node of both blackbodt and texture emission and use a spherical projection to control the orientation of the light.
her is the ocs:
http://www.beppegullotta.it/test/IES-Light.orbx.zip
and here the material in orbx format:
http://www.beppegullotta.it/test/IES-Light-mat.orbx.zip
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby neuro » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 am

neuro Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 am
That was a big help. I sort of have it working in Maya based on your scene and description... The IES is definitely projecting now with the spherical projection. It's also respecting the source plane's position. However, the rotation is ignored. I tried adding an input transform on the spherical projection - connecting the rotation of the source plane transform to a rotation transform plugged into the spherical projection, but I couldn't get it to track properly. I've noticed a couple other threads on this forum asking about this but no answers. I tried multiple axis orders, but nothing quite worked right. Maybe something is broken in the maya plugin?

Thanks again bepeg4d!
neuro

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion