Lightfield general question

Forums: Lightfield general question
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Lightfield general question

Postby Patricka01 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:29 am

Patricka01 Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:29 am
I recently saw this video on youtube "OTOY demonstrates first ever light field capture for VR":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyJUg-ja0cg

I don't have any experience rendering, but making realistic 3D stills really intrigued me.
However, I've found it hard finding information about/understanding exactly what is being shown in this video.

Is this something that is possible right now with Octane Render and the right camera rig?
Patricka01

Re: Lightfield general question

Postby Goldorak » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:01 am

Goldorak Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:01 am
Patricka01 wrote:I recently saw this video on youtube "OTOY demonstrates first ever light field capture for VR":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyJUg-ja0cg

I don't have any experience rendering, but making realistic 3D stills really intrigued me.
However, I've found it hard finding information about/understanding exactly what is being shown in this video.

Is this something that is possible right now with Octane Render and the right camera rig?

The light field, once captured, is basically a volume texture - better than a point cloud since it captures reflections, and even participating media.

The camera we used in the video was off the shelf. The software used to generate the light field and from the raw frames is partly based on our prior work with 8D Light Field capture for actors and objects:

http://home.otoy.com/capture/lightstage/
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Patricka01 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:57 am

Patricka01 Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:57 am
Is that software already available?
Patricka01

Postby Goldorak » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:27 am

Goldorak Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:27 am
Patricka01 wrote:Is that software already available?

The light field capture stack used in the video is still in early development. We intend to support it more broadly once it matures and is fully automated. Similar to ORC, we will provide a cloud service that automatically builds a high quality light field texture volume from raw camera image input.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby r-username » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:25 pm

r-username Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:25 pm
If one wanted to take some pictures today for future processing would it be similar as photogrammetry capture? (Take a bunch of pictures at different angles)

Or would you need a specific camera rig as displayed the the video?
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Patricka01 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:33 pm

Patricka01 Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:33 pm
Goldorak wrote:

The light field capture stack used in the video is still in early development. We intend to support it more broadly once it matures and is fully automated. Similar to ORC, we will provide a cloud service that automatically builds a high quality light field texture volume from raw camera image input.

Thanks for the info.

Any timeframe on when this might be released?
Patricka01

Postby BjoernSchmidt » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 pm

BjoernSchmidt Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 pm
Patricka01 wrote:
Goldorak wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Any timeframe on when this might be released?

I want to revive the thread by asking if there has been an update of the status of the light field capture stack since the collboration with Facebook and the "x24" has been announced. And i am interested if you can do volumetric light fields with a costom made camera rig other than the one from facebook. I am super excited because i waited for this to happen for a long time. Thanks in advance. You do a great job!
BjoernSchmidt

Postby Goldorak » Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 pm

Goldorak Mon May 01, 2017 2:37 pm
We've been building our own LF video rigs for years, and have a large business around light stage capture (reflectance fields). Our software can handle and stitch nearly any arrangement of lenses into a volmetric asset you can load in Octane and then render back out as a high quality synthetic LF. The issue is the quality may be very dependendent on how well calibrated the rig is.

In the case of FB, the hardware and rig is designed perfectly, and the software stack for processing is optimized by them (and really good - with tons of FB resources updating it continuously with features and improvements). We're adding their stack to our cloud service for general image->ORBX conversion, which will also cover light stage scan processing (using one of our lightstage rigs or light modules). We may add more general inputs from phones, HMDs, depth sensors, and camera arrays once the FB/LS->ORBX pipeline is done.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby natevplas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 pm

natevplas Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:32 pm
Hi, just want to follow up almost a year since the last post here. I want to start capturing my own light fields, but there does not seem to be any software available to compile the images and/or view them. Any progress on something like this for consumers from Otoy? The Facebook Surround 360 x24 6DOF camera was supposed to be released Q4 of last year and there has been radio silence on it since April 2017. That was at least supposed to be one consumer option available by now, but no such luck. I don't want to sound impatient or whiny, I'm just really excited about light fields and want to start creating!
natevplas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 pm

Goldorak Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 pm
Updates soon - Octane 4 (on out side) is important step.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion