Setting up your VR scene with 3DS MAX

Forums: Setting up your VR scene with 3DS MAX
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Setting up your VR scene with 3DS MAX

Postby DarcFusion » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:46 pm

DarcFusion Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:46 pm
I am having issues working with Octane VR plugin for 3ds max(It is user error). I am new to the Plugin and just need a better idea. Can anyone run through their workflow from opening your scene, setting up Octane under the render settings, setting up the octane camera, setting it up on the live view(I understand setting a light color in the environment), to the material editor(My bottle neck), setting up lighting and finally rendering the scene. I have ran through some tutorials and found my self stuck. Essentially we are putting together a space scene seeing some planets and so forth. I understand this is a vague question, I just need an idea and to see where I am messing up. I have a feeling it's really simple and ridiculous but I am learning :P. Major issue is my materials are not setting up correctly and all the material slots are empty? I am confused it's been a hell of a week and of course deadlines are just around the corner. Any help would be bad ass and greatly appreciated.
DarcFusion

Re: Setting up your VR scene with 3DS MAX

Postby therealjustlike » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:48 am

therealjustlike Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:48 am
I think your materials are showing up empty because they aren't octane materials.
First make sure you have the octane renderer active in your render setup/assign renderer.

goto the tools panel
click "open liveDB",
a new window "octane DB" will pop open
click the Live DB tab
expand materials
choose non organic as an example
expand paint, right click Carpaint-Black, select "import"
your octane DB will close and if you open up your material editor
you should see carpaint-Black in one of the slots.

another way to get your materials to show up is to click
convert under material converter that is also in the tools panel of render setup.

or choose a slot in material editor click material/map browser and expand materials dropdown
and then expand octaneRender dropdown. Here you can make your own material from scratch.

Hope that helps a little
Good luck!
i7-4770k, 16gb, gtx770
therealjustlike
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion