Cross-eyed effect on models close to camera

Forums: Cross-eyed effect on models close to camera
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Cross-eyed effect on models close to camera

Postby thenomad » Thu May 14, 2015 1:44 pm

thenomad Thu May 14, 2015 1:44 pm
I've been testing out the Octane stereo cubemaps and I'm blown away!

However, one thing is causing me a few problems: when I've got an object fairly close to camera (about half a meter away in real-life terms), if I stick with the default eye seperation settings I end up with double vision when looking at them. I can deal with that by reducing the eye seperation in the software, but then any objects further away end up looking very flat.

What's the best setting to control this whilst still making the background look 3D?
thenomad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Cross-eyed effect on models close to camera

Postby Goldorak » Fri May 15, 2015 12:19 am

Goldorak Fri May 15, 2015 12:19 am
John Carmack has suggested to have nearest objects about 10x-20x the IPD distance for comfortable viewing of VR renders.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby glimpse » Fri May 15, 2015 5:14 am

glimpse Fri May 15, 2015 5:14 am
Goldorak wrote:John Carmack has suggested to have nearest objects about 10x-20x the IPD distance for comfortable viewing of VR renders.

Thanks for tips Guys!

thenomad wrote:..I can deal with that by reducing the eye seperation in the software, but then any objects further away end up looking very flat.

What's the best setting to control this whilst still making the background look 3D?

Guess the best is to have "balanced" scene not like single object & then background, but something that would be scattered around in all distances, so eye & brain would have something to pick & work on =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Fri May 15, 2015 3:14 pm

Refracty Fri May 15, 2015 3:14 pm
Other question:
Usually the eye distance is around 6.35 cm. - Do suggest to increase the eye distance for architectural scenes? (If so, what distance?) I have the feeling that the 3D effect is very subtle on those scenes.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby momade » Fri May 15, 2015 7:44 pm

momade Fri May 15, 2015 7:44 pm
Refracty wrote:Other question:
Usually the eye distance is around 6.35 cm. - Do suggest to increase the eye distance for architectural scenes? (If so, what distance?) I have the feeling that the 3D effect is very subtle on those scenes.

its not an easy question to answer. but hence you are working on architecture scene it would be a good advice to stay close to the "natural" 6.35 cm. increasing this eye distance might increase the 3D-effect. but too much of it will push your scene towards the so called stereo-photography-term of dwarfism, where the objects your looking at seem to be at smaller scale than they actually are. pushing thing even further will end up in crossed-eye effect. (opposite of dwarfism is the stereo-term of gigantism, for more info read this: http://www.dashwood3d.com/blog/beginners-guide-to-shooting-stereoscopic-3d/)
just like 'glimpse' said:
Guess the best is to have "balanced" scene not like single object & then background, but something that would be scattered around in all distances, so eye & brain would have something to pick & work on =)

a good scene will always make better 3D than IPD manipulation.
momade
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gabrielefx » Sat May 16, 2015 8:29 am

gabrielefx Sat May 16, 2015 8:29 am
If you want to understand what is the stereoscopy and how is used as a creative tool watch the movie Circue Du Soleil Worlds Away.
For me is a reference 3d movie.
I often used the 1/30th rule to position my 3d camera.
Read some interesting articles by Lenny Lipton.
Also there aren't fixed rules.
Unfortunately in Octane we can't dynamically change the eyes convergence, for stereo panoramas the two cameras stay parallel.
I asked for convergent cameras for non spherical renders in Octane and a better anaglyph previz, but Octane engineers need to study a lot about stereography.

regards
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gabrielefx » Sat May 16, 2015 8:31 am

gabrielefx Sat May 16, 2015 8:31 am
gabrielefx wrote:If you want to understand what is the stereoscopy and how is used as a creative tool watch the movie Circue Du Soleil Worlds Away.
For me is a reference 3d movie.
I often used the 1/30th rule to position my 3d camera.
Read some interesting articles by Lenny Lipton.
Also there aren't fixed rules.
Unfortunately in Octane we can't dynamically change the eyes convergence, for stereo panoramas the two cameras stay parallel.
I asked for convergent cameras for non spherical renders in Octane and a better anaglyph previz, but Octane engineers need to study a lot about stereoscopy.

regards
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion