Competition content ???

Forums: Competition content ???
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: Competition content ???

Postby regionfive » Tue May 12, 2015 10:32 am

regionfive Tue May 12, 2015 10:32 am
I have the feeling, they started the competition too early. I have such a good Idea for an interactive navigable scene, but i think it´s not yet possible to do.
I have a DK2 here and I´m left with the feeling I have no real benefit from that. Maybe it´s just a marketing gag that forces me to buy the gear VR... ;)

Anyway as my post is unanswered down below, I drop it here, cause it´s kind of a related question:

Hi Otoy,
It would be nice if you can specify some of your rules for the Competition.

You say it has to be made a 100% by the competitors.
Does that count for every single texture i might be using? even if i have full rights to use it (like a wood texture or a HDRi sky I bought somewhere)?
How about creative commons meshes i got from blendswap or objects I bought from Turbosquid?

Does it count as infringement, when I have i.e a Windows Desktop on a Display in my scene, where you can see the windows logo or any icons of other software like Adobe?
How about (TM) logos on items in general?
What If i model an iMac, will I have to alter the logo (although it is obviously an iMac)?

Thanks for any answers.
Cheers
René

If you think it´s a silly question, ignore it :D
Cheers
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue May 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Goldorak Tue May 12, 2015 3:39 pm
I have checked with Oculus. As long as you have the rights to the textures and models you are using for the render or it is fair use (i.e. a windows desktop on a monitor is fine) you should be OK.

No interactivity or video is required, sorry about that confusion. The contest is only for 360 still renders, ideally in stereo.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby regionfive » Wed May 13, 2015 9:06 am

regionfive Wed May 13, 2015 9:06 am
this is great to hear. can´t wait to deliver my project. Still a bunch of work to do though
:)
regionfive
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Fri May 15, 2015 9:48 am

ristoraven Fri May 15, 2015 9:48 am
For the navigability issue, I kept in mind in my little cafe maestro render that the scene could be baked into a light field where you can walk around in it.. So the space is closed with surrounding walls and some fences, but there´s room to wander around also.

One important thing what I have been tackling quite a bit with DK2 and spherical stereo panos, are the scales of things. For example the height of the pavement.. in modelling it looks to be "about there", but with DK2 it is about the knee high.. doesn´t quite work.

Are these scales btw same with spherical panos and with cube map?
If not, my cafe probably looks silly with GearVR..

Ps,

pssst...
Could Otoy arrange some discount from Oculus / Samsung to the artists here? If you have full Octane license, some discount from the phone and GearVR? :shock:
After all, Otoy is a cental point that has widest range of CG artists in one spot, regardless of the CG software package they use.. Would be a well placed effort to get highest quality content to the GearVR. Please, consider this.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Fri May 15, 2015 2:34 pm

ristoraven Fri May 15, 2015 2:34 pm
I forgot to mention that for these scales that seems to work in VR I use Daz model set to 1% for lightwave. If I make a building, chair or something, I use that model next to them to figure out a proper scale. Seems to work best at the moment with DK2.. However, DAZ models seems to be right at close distance, but looked from a further way they seem too small. So if they are further away, they need to be resized.. strange. I have been spending some time sitting on a park bench and been looking real people how their scales actually looks like from different distances.. granted, it looks somewhat like what happens with Daz, but it just pops out in VR. Maybe it is just due to DK2s poor resolution? I tried to btw do that watching of people without looking too creepy. :)

This is not a simple issue imho. For example Elite Dangerous the pilot seems to be about 120 cm tall... Ships interiors however seems to be correct. I bet they have some work to do, before they release a version where people can walk around in stations and be seen by others. Space full of midget pilots doesn´t sound like space truckers to me. Unless there are no people but short aliens..
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion