Render the metaverse orbx preview

Forums: Render the metaverse orbx preview
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Render the metaverse orbx preview

Postby MattiaZoratti » Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm

MattiaZoratti Mon May 04, 2015 10:45 pm
I would like to join the render the metaverse contest but since a Gear VR and a Galaxy note 4 are very expensive I would like to know if there's another way to have a preview of the orbx files. I've read on the otoy twitter account that in this forum there's a pano viewer avaiable for VR user submissions. Does it work with orbx files? Where is it?

This is the tweet i'm referring to
https://twitter.com/OTOY/status/592766392451145728
MattiaZoratti

Re: Render the metaverse orbx preview

Postby Chriz » Tue May 05, 2015 7:06 am

Chriz Tue May 05, 2015 7:06 am
Hi,

i am very interested in this PC version of the media player too. In their tweet the wrote "..in the works". I guess we have to wait.... ;)

Best, Chriz
http://www.C9W.de - Win10 - Dual E5 2620v3 - Display 1 GTX 1080 / Render 1 3090 RTX - 96 RAM - C4D MSA - C4D Plugin version: current - Standalone: current
Chriz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MattiaZoratti » Tue May 05, 2015 12:10 pm

MattiaZoratti Tue May 05, 2015 12:10 pm
But they also wrote "and a pano viewer in the forums". I was wondering if there's already the possibility to view the orbx files..
MattiaZoratti

Postby MattiaZoratti » Wed May 06, 2015 3:18 pm

MattiaZoratti Wed May 06, 2015 3:18 pm
Can someone from otoy tell us if an .orbx viewer for pc will be available and when? I'm really interested in "render the metaverse" competition but without an .orbx viewer accessible to everyone it would be really difficult to check our works. The main problem is that not everyone of us competitors can afford a samsung galaxy note 4 with an oculus vr and, as far as I understand, without these two devices many of us will be only capable of experiencing a simple static spherical image using a google cardboard and a cardboard app, losing every possibility of animations or interactions.
MattiaZoratti

Postby bepeg4d » Thu May 07, 2015 9:01 am

bepeg4d Thu May 07, 2015 9:01 am
hi,
i think that, since the samsung vr version is just a matter of rendering format and resolution, we can easily render our vr content firstly in lower equirectangular resolution until all the scene is ready and check it with coloreye on google cardboard or DK, then render only the final vr in hi cube format ;)
basically this is what i will do, since i don't have a samsung galaxy and a gearvr for now :D
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby r-username » Thu May 07, 2015 12:03 pm

r-username Thu May 07, 2015 12:03 pm
bepeg4d wrote:render only the final vr in hi cube format ;)

still need to do more testing but it may be the case just to render the entire pipeline in most standard "stereo equirectangular pano format", then (using a script or app) convert to the otoy/gearvr cube map.

I think the point is that the app reads/displays cubemap images better than equiangular, but there no quality difference between the render formats.
Still need to do more testing or see some real world examples to show otherwise.

search: "equirectangular to cube map" ( i use my own script)
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MattiaZoratti » Thu May 07, 2015 1:30 pm

MattiaZoratti Thu May 07, 2015 1:30 pm
Ok, maybe I've missed something very important here: aren't the .orbx files containers for animations too? On the contest judging parameters they wrote "Viewing experience including navigability and interactivity". So my question is: Do we have "only" to create a beautiful panorama or do we have to insert animations and behaviors for the 3d geometry so it can respond to the user movements and clicks?
MattiaZoratti

Postby Goldorak » Fri May 08, 2015 4:27 pm

Goldorak Fri May 08, 2015 4:27 pm
MattiaZoratti wrote:Ok, maybe I've missed something very important here: aren't the .orbx files containers for animations too? On the contest judging parameters they wrote "Viewing experience including navigability and interactivity". So my question is: Do we have "only" to create a beautiful panorama or do we have to insert animations and behaviors for the 3d geometry so it can respond to the user movements and clicks?

Sorry for the confusion - that should really be revised. You do not have to worry about animations or interactivity. Just create a beautiful stereo 360 scene and you are good to go!
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby solomon » Sat May 09, 2015 5:54 am

solomon Sat May 09, 2015 5:54 am
Goldorak wrote:
MattiaZoratti wrote:Ok, maybe I've missed something very important here: aren't the .orbx files containers for animations too? On the contest judging parameters they wrote "Viewing experience including navigability and interactivity". So my question is: Do we have "only" to create a beautiful panorama or do we have to insert animations and behaviors for the 3d geometry so it can respond to the user movements and clicks?

Sorry for the confusion - that should really be revised. You do not have to worry about animations or interactivity. Just create a beautiful stereo 360 scene and you are good to go!

Hi Goldorak,

I have a question about this part: 4. Once you’ve rendered your scene, export it as an ORBX media file.

so I have rendered my scene, do I then export the rendered image as an ORBX file? there seems to be no such option from the IPR render save options...
Solomon W. Jagwe
3D Artist/Animator/Modeler | Independent Film Director
http://www.sowl.com | http://www.galiwango.com | http://www.nkozaandnankya.com
solomon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sat May 09, 2015 12:51 pm

Goldorak Sat May 09, 2015 12:51 pm
ORBX media file is not yet enabled, So PNG export is what you use to view the renders. You can also save animations to MP4 - 3804x1920 @ 30 for or 2880x1440 @60.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion