Orbx Viewer app on Oculus Quest

Forums: Orbx Viewer app on Oculus Quest
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Re: Orbx Viewer app on Oculus Quest

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:45 am

Goldorak Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:45 am
The Oculus team apparently build an ORBX RTM cube map viewer in their browser. We plan to revisit ORBX viewer, but with iPhone AR Kit and all of Octane/Brigade integrated. See the end of this video:

https://youtu.be/xKEWWYBAJPo?t=1081
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby v-cube » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 pm

v-cube Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:47 pm
Hi Goldorak,

thank you for posting this, I have to say that this is truly super amazing cutting edge stuff and I am really looking forward to the potential possibilities this might bring...

However, what I guess many users 8at least myself...) would like to have is the possibility to use the latest untethered HMD display for "simple" static stereoscopic cube mapped renderings, ideally with the possibility to have add further content (hotspots for popups, audio, transitions between panoramas etc.) without the need to manual code them.
I know that might not sound like the most advanced VR stuff, but we had big success with the Gear VR in conjunction with a "hacked" Samsung phone. It was a very nice and fast to produce for us and visually impressive while super easy to use for our clients.
It was great, I would preconfigure 2-3 systems, drive to my client, give them a 1 hour presentation how to use them and leave them with them. We even figured out a way to remotely change the content on the devices... sigh...

Is there any hope there will be something like that again on e.g. on the Quest2 or any other HMDs?

best

Andreas
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby v-cube » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:49 pm

v-cube Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:49 pm
Any news? I have a HP Reverb2 here and the Oculus quest 2 -> both are fantastic HMDs !

I had a long discussion today with a client, we still would love to have a possibility to have a improved (static) stereoscopic option with this new hardware.

Is there any hope or did you completely abandon this beloved feature ?
Architectural Rendering Services
1 x 4090 GTX, 1 x 3090 GTX
http://www.v-cube.de
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby azims » Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:51 am

azims Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:51 am
I miss this feature so much. I want to add a crying face emoji here. Otoy team please bring this feature back.
azims
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby reaver000 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:10 pm

reaver000 Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:10 pm
I just tried to play my "Metaverse" submissions on my Quest 2 and was surprised the ORBX Viewer was never updated to work with the Quest. Looks like Otoy aren't going to update it which is a shame, as it was groundbreaking at the time and I still haven't found anything to match it.
reaver000
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MJB » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:43 am

MJB Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:43 am
Any news re progress on this topic.

I just bought a Meta Quest 2.
After a few hours researching on the web, i concluded incorrectly that I could at least display a panorama file or a cube map on one of several available viewers for this device.

As it turns out there does not appear to be a single app on planet earth that can do this. Unbelievable that the simplest way to provide a 360 degree visual experience cannot be offered on the most popular VR device. It looks like I could post these file formats to Facebook, but my client is a confidential US fortune 50 company and that wont fly.

I was not expecting anything as good as the orbx media player but I was expecting something.

So a couple of questions,
1. does anyone know of any cube-map or panorama viewer for the oculus quest 2.
2. I noticed orbx media player could be download to the oculus go, one iteration beyond the Samsung Gear VR
Has Otoy tried that code on the Quest 2, Im hoping it might just work, but i have no way to get to the android .apk file,
Otoy, can you share that so we could test if you have not? I know how to sideload.

I have a nice .lua script that will write a multimedia, multi image with hotspots txt file to work with orbx media player.
Happy to share but i don't have hardware to use it on.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to write my own rudimentary viewer, something that cycled thru a folder full of cube maps or pano files. What tools would i need, VB, C# and unity?

Otoy, you could become the worlds sole supplier of this feature, on the Quest. Users would be happy to pay for the app.

Thanks

Mark
MJB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Dj_DooM3 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:44 am

Dj_DooM3 Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:44 am
Hello guys.

I just managed to view 3D Stereoscopic Cubemap images on my Oculus Quest 2 by modding the "Oculus 360 Photos" app. After a very busy week of researching and testing, finally, i did it.
Here you can find the detailed video tutorial about how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPZNZs7MC9o

Enjoy.
Dj_DooM3

Postby MB » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:21 pm

MB Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:21 pm
Dj_DooM3

Thank you so much for sharing your work, I got everything running this morning, very helpful and much appreciated.

Best

Mark
Windows 11, 2x Intel I9, 64GB Ram, 2x GTX 1080 TI, 1 x RTX 380 TI, Oculus Quest 2
MB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion