How to get rid of harsh black shadows in direct lighting?

Forums: How to get rid of harsh black shadows in direct lighting?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

How to get rid of harsh black shadows in direct lighting?

Postby wotally » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 pm

wotally Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:50 pm
Hey everyone,

I just started using the Octane plugin for C4D, and I'm pretty new to 3d in general. Is there any way to get rid of the harsh black shadows in the direct lighting kernel? Is there any way to get direct lighting to create soft, lifelike shadows and vibrant colors like in the path tracing or PMC kernels? I already have alpha shadows and fake shadows turned on. For reference, the top image is pathtracing, and the bottom is direct lighting. Thanks!
Attachments
pathtrace.JPG
direct lighting.JPG
wotally

Re: How to get rid of harsh black shadows in direct lighting?

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 am

bepeg4d Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 am
Hi wotally,
in general, Path Tracing and PMC are the best options when rendering specular/transparent materials.
With proper settings, PT can be even faster then DL Diffuse. And PMC is unbeatable with caustics.
You can increase the Specular and Glossy depth, try starting from 8-8, in order to have a better result with DL kernel, but the rendering time will increase too.
Happy GPU Rendering,
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: How to get rid of harsh black shadows in direct lighting?

Postby coilbook » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:55 am

coilbook Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:55 am
bepeg4d wrote:Hi wotally,
in general, Path Tracing and PMC are the best options when rendering specular/transparent materials.
With proper settings, PT can be even faster then DL Diffuse. And PMC is unbeatable with caustics.
You can increase the Specular and Glossy depth, try starting from 8-8, in order to have a better result with DL kernel, but the rendering time will increase too.
Happy GPU Rendering,
ciao beppe

i know i already asked but if it is ever possible alpha shadows per object or per specular material would be nice to keep render time low
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion