Doubts before getting the license

Forums: Doubts before getting the license
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

Doubts before getting the license

Postby gieroj » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:49 pm

gieroj Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:49 pm
Hello community,

I'm heading towards buying Octane (Standalone + C4D Plugin). Have been digging the subject for a while now and started to have doubts about if the move has sence.

Setup:
- i7 5930K @ 3.5 GHz
- 1 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC 2GB
- 32 GB RAM

First question: will this 1xGPU be enough for some time or i need to consider buying another one to really feel the difference (currently working with physical render).
Second question: how does the licensing work exactly (been looking for the anwser in FAQ). If i buy a standalone + plugin version, install in on one PC and then for example: change the version of C4D / upgrade the hardware / change the working place, will i be able to activate it again? Does it make any connection to the software (in this case C4D) that i am working in?

Best regards
gieroj
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Doubts before getting the license

Postby glimpse » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 pm

glimpse Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:32 pm
Hi, Gieroj.

Welcome to OTOY forums. Let's answer some question You left here!

gieroj wrote:First question: will this 1xGPU be enough for some time or i need to consider buying another one to really feel the difference (currently working with physical render).

2GB GPU is not very big, but since OctaneRender has out of core texture feature allowing You to keep maps in system RAM & things like instances allowing to save quite some vram if You have repeated geometry..I would say even 2GB card would be good for a start (uness You start throwing complex, multimillion car model or complex trees..)

So it all depends on Your needs.

gieroj wrote:Second question: how does the licensing work exactly (been looking for the anwser in FAQ). If i buy a standalone + plugin version, install in on one PC and then for example: change the version of C4D / upgrade the hardware / change the working place, will i be able to activate it again? Does it make any connection to the software (in this case C4D) that i am working in?

When You have licence You can use it to any computer You like. So if You start working on Your machine at home, You can turn of & it would deactivate automatically. Then You can use the same account with licences on other machine. So, do not worry about licences tying up to machine or specific packages.

One thing to recommend though. I would get subscription OctaneVR & try out for start - You will understand how fast it goes or how big of a scenes You can fit inside. Learning scene optimisation would pay of on the long run, so having a smaller GPU with less of VRAM could be an advantage if You choose to look from certain perspective.

Let us know if You would have any other questions.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gieroj » Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 pm

gieroj Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 pm
Thank You for the reply @glimpse. I have made a mistake saying that my card has 2GB memory, it's 4GB and the Octane VR seems to be no longer avaiable to download?
Best regards
gieroj
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 pm

glimpse Mon May 08, 2017 9:17 pm
gieroj wrote:Thank You for the reply @glimpse. I have made a mistake saying that my card has 2GB memory, it's 4GB and the Octane VR seems to be no longer avaiable to download?
Best regards

there's no free OctaneVr version anymore, but You can rent a copy (using subscription service) for 20$/month. Let us know if You would have more questions.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion