VR in offline mode

Forums: VR in offline mode
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

VR in offline mode

Postby saskiel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:19 pm

saskiel Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:19 pm
Hi there, it would be great if there was a solution to not being able to run OctaneVR when the otoy servers are having trouble, like on Sunday. I understand how the subscription model works with needing to authenticate as the licence is temporary and per monthly, but if there was a system where it only needed to auth once a day, that would solve this issue. Its cool to sell a product for small studios, but another when said businesses can't use the product at crunch time etc. Cheers!
saskiel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: VR in offline mode

Postby mojave » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:10 am

mojave Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:10 am
We are not aware of any incidents involving our servers on Sunday, you may check the status of all our systems in case of doubt here:

https://status.otoy.com/

If you come across any issues with activation in the future, please report it to us as soon as possible providing any relevant screenshots and OS and software versions.

Regarding your request, the subscription license requires online authentication every time it starts by design, otherwise the licensing system could be easily bypassed.

Thank you.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: VR in offline mode

Postby saskiel » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

saskiel Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm
Hi mojave, thanks for the response.

Yep, I understand the reason with always-online is a integral in OctaneVR's design. What I'm pointing out is: because of a network problem somewhere between my computer and otoy's server (not affecting any other websites or services that I could see), I was unable to use the product I've paid for. It also affected the connectivity to the otoy websites, I got on-page cached loading error messages from I assume the webserver running the site.

So that's an issue in OctaneVR's usage scenarios, one that having 100% or 99.9999% percent uptime on otoy servers cannot entirely prevent. This is why I suggested an alternative to the auth-every-load system -- that's just one quick idea from a new user.

Cheers.
saskiel
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion