DAZ 4.9 and Quatro P5000.

Forums: DAZ 4.9 and Quatro P5000.
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

DAZ 4.9 and Quatro P5000.

Postby HadCancer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:57 pm

HadCancer Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:57 pm
Hi
I am thinking of buying Octane, but have some questions that are not answered on the FAQ's. I have a new computer with window 10 an i7 6core 3.3 GHZ chip, 32 gigs of RAM, and an Nvidia Quatro P5000 video card. I tried remotely having 2 1080's installed but would not do an Iray render. It was then Nvidia told me none of there Pascal chip GTX cards support Iray. GTX cards were gamer cards only, so I bit bullet and got a P5000 which supports Iray. Unfortunately DAZ has no intention of supporting my card as they are too pricey and they are to cowardly to tell people that none of the current Nvidia cards will work with there program. I asked the DAZ tech barring switching to whole new render program what should I do. (Note card will work with Poser Pro 11 using outdated driver...they are working with Nvidia to fix)
Daz tech recommended I look at Octane. Will my system work with octane. I noted in the FAQ the Nvidia cards only list the prior generation Maxwell chip cards. My second question is this. I am slowly going blind so I currently work with a 50" 4k monitor. I tried the Reality plug in for DAZ but the program would not fit to the screen and the writing on it was unreadable and therefore unusable. My question is will Octane scale to my larger screen currently setting is 4kx2k,3840x 2160 (native) 60MHZ.

Thanks you so much for you help. I just do not want to spend more money only to find out it does not work.
HadCancer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: DAZ 4.9 and Quatro P5000.

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:40 pm

face_off Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:40 pm
Hi - yes Octane will render with your 2 x GTX 1080's, and yes, it should work fine with your 4k monitor. Octane is not a direct replacement for IRay - they are different renderers - so make sure you try the demo at https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/demo/ to ensure it meets your needs. I am currently working on a better conversion from the IRay uber shader to Octane.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby HadCancer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:11 pm

HadCancer Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:11 pm
A slight missed communication I have a Quadro P5000 card. my question is will it work with Octane. I never got the GTX 1080's as they will not work with Iray
HadCancer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 am

face_off Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 am
Hi - try the DEMO version with your P5000 to find out if it works, or check the Octane FAQ regarding the Compute Model required for the current release of Octane.

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby HadCancer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 pm

HadCancer Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:34 pm
Paul thank you. I guess I will have to resort to the trail version. I know you are a nice guy since you answered, but god you did not read my question in the first place, as I originally stated my card is not listed in the FAQ. If fact, none of the Pascal chip cards from Nvidia are listed. Only the prior generation Maxwell cards are listed. I assumed because either the did not work with the Pascal cards or the people at the site had yet to update the FAQ. That is the only reason I posted her as I did not see a way to contact anyone directly. Although I am the first to admit I am stupid, I am certainly not an idiot. The FAQ was the first place I looked, but pardon me but I am a little gun shy right now. I keep buying things that should work but do not. I send my newer computer back with a Titan X that was having issues under warranty. I was informed they could not do a straight replacement as my card had a Maxwell chip in it and only Pascal chips were available now and it would cost more. However they offered 1080 instead, I did a remote test render only to find it did not work. Nvidia told me Iray was no longer supported my any of the GTX cards, but Quantro was. I bit the bullet paid big for a P5000 only to find out DAZ Studio which uses Iray as it's default renderer did not support my P5000 card and had no intention of ever doing so because the "card cost to much". I think the card will work since you said the 1080 will work with Octane and it a has a pascal chip. Other than a lot more memory I am not sure other than it costs a lot more what the card differences are, but apparently form your answer you do not know if it will work either. I guess I will see if there are a lot of tutorials on your product so I can see how it works before I download the trial, as I will have a time limit on it. I am very old so learning new things takes a little longer. Lucky being retired I have the time.
HadCancer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 pm

face_off Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:19 pm
The only way you can be certain that your specific card make and model works with Octane is to try the demo.

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby HadCancer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:57 am

HadCancer Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:57 am
I will try this again, since e my reply evidently was not approved. I took your suggestion and loaded a saved scene into DAZ. The demo plug in picked up the scene and did the conversions. when I when to the render tab it showed me a preview of the image of course it had a watermark as this was a demo and size as stated was also limited, however no matter which method I tried to save it , I got a message that this option was not available. This makes no sense to me why this would be disabled since you already limited the size and put a watermark on it. I then tried hitting the tab entitled "Final" in the hope I could see if Octane would render with my card. However once I hit the tab Final all I get is the Watermark render which takes a few seconds to render, so am I missing something? Again I want to purchase you product, but not id it will not work with my P5000 Quandro card. I would appreciate a response since it would appear you have not cutomer support Dept. ;)
HadCancer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby HadCancer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:00 pm

HadCancer Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:00 pm
Sorry I posted in the wrong forum and did not get approved. I still want to purchase prgram, but snet in a support ticket which will get me the answer hopefully otherwise I will shop elsewhere.
HadCancer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:21 am

face_off Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:21 am
I took your suggestion and loaded a saved scene into DAZ. The demo plug in picked up the scene and did the conversions. when I when to the render tab it showed me a preview of the image of course it had a watermark as this was a demo and size as stated was also limited, however no matter which method I tried to save it , I got a message that this option was not available. This makes no sense to me why this would be disabled since you already limited the size and put a watermark on it. I then tried hitting the tab entitled "Final" in the hope I could see if Octane would render with my card. However once I hit the tab Final all I get is the Watermark render which takes a few seconds to render, so am I missing something? Again I want to purchase you product, but not id it will not work with my P5000 Quandro card. I would appreciate a response since it would appear you have not cutomer support Dept.
Hi - it looks like the plugin is running fine with your graphics cards. The demo version of Octane does not allow the saving of renders - that is a limitation I cannot change.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion