"The Infinite Museum" - By: robeastham

Forums: "The Infinite Museum" - By: robeastham

Re: "The Infinite Museum" - By: robeastham

Postby robeastham » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:01 am

robeastham Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:01 am
Yep I kind of figured that might be the route. My hopes that you could delight the individual 2D images before recreating a 3D model in Photoscan I'm now thinking would not be possible to do accurately due to lack of any 3D data. From what I understand Bitmap2Material does its best to de-light just the 2D texture with no 3D data - but ultimately there must be lots of guesswork going on here in there technique which must result in somewhat inaccurate de-lighting. So baking a texture with the opposite lighting texture applied appears to be the way to go for more accuracy. The Kite demo guys used Maya for this I think, but I've heard that Modo might be a good choice too. Not sure if one has an advantage over the other.

I guess this makes controlled lighting a must. Luckily for my turntable I plan to have absolute control of the lighting as the studio would be completely dark when shooting apart from the source light included in my new turntable design. Obviously need to measure this light and I think is where the chromeball and the greyball I mentioned would be needed. So I'm hopeful I can build something that will work given these constraints. Still quite a few practical details and gaps in my knowledge to fill in I think :D
robeastham

Re: "The Infinite Museum" - By: robeastham

Postby robeastham » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:06 pm

robeastham Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:06 pm
Hi All,

I received a PM from Rikk The Gaijin asking if I wouldn't mind giving him a copy of the sheep skull scan used in The Infinite Museum for reference. So I thought why not! Planned to post it here and let everyone have access to it in case they find it useful too.

So I uploaded it to Sketchfab:

https://sketchfab.com/models/fac4f913c7664e82a04f8504d5f2344c

One thing I thought I had better check first though. I'm happy to switch on the download option on the link above, but I wondered if I might be breaking the competion rules by making it available to everyone? If a member of staff from OTOY says it won't effect the competition and can give me the go-ahead to enable download on Sketchfab then I'd be happy to do so :)

I await a reply from a staff member.....
robeastham

Previous

Return to OTOY & Oculus: Render the Metaverse Contest Submissions