"Player #1303059: Dawn" - By: maxwood

Forums: "Player #1303059: Dawn" - By: maxwood

"Player #1303059: Dawn" - By: maxwood

Postby OTOY [Bot] » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm

OTOY [Bot] Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm
Player #1303059: Dawn

Submitted By: maxwood

If the viewer above does not display correctly for your device, you can load the viewer directly.

Alternate lighting version of my entry, experimenting with creating more contrast between the buildings and sky.

In this image I wanted to show the first few seconds of what a player sees when entering the metaverse. Leaving their living room behind when putting on an Oculus headset and being transported to a new world.

My interpretation of the metaverse was partly inspired by the OASIS talked about in "Ready Player One" - I imagined a utopian world that people connected to and lived their lives through, so it was essential that it be filled with life.

I wanted to create a contrast between the vintage décor of the living room as it vanishes and the utopian city loading that surrounds it. The style of the city was inspired by brutalist architecture with it's heavy use of concrete and the detailing and grand scale of art deco architecture. Hopefully I managed to create a sense of scale showing the enormous scale of the buildings surrounding the viewer.

Hope you like it!
OTOY [Bot]

Postby HelterSkelter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:40 am

HelterSkelter Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:40 am
This is really good. I really like the way you have used light and reflective surfaces. In my opinion its a little densely populated, if real estate is cheap you can open the space up more. Have you given any thought to rent? Will a penthouse cost a premium or will people just construct there own building?
HelterSkelter

Re:

Postby maxwood » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:31 am

maxwood Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:31 am
HelterSkelter wrote:This is really good. I really like the way you have used light and reflective surfaces. In my opinion its a little densely populated, if real estate is cheap you can open the space up more. Have you given any thought to rent? Will a penthouse cost a premium or will people just construct there own building?

Good questions :) and thanks very much.

So some of my inspiration was from Ready Player One where players live their lives in a kind of Metaverse, I wanted it to be quite dense so that it gave the impression that in this case many people were doing so. I considered adding a lot more people throughout, particularly in the backgrounds but I was already pushing my VRAM to the limit.

Haha, there are so many factors to take into account but my thoughts are that you would buy digital space from whoever created this Metaverse and prices would probably reflect real world prices depending on the popularity of the world. But perhaps the utopia isn't quite what it seems? ;)

Some cool reference if you're interested in the buildings - http://weirdrussia.com/2015/04/27/sovie ... c-chaubin/
@maxwood | i7-5820K | 32GB | GTX 980
Freelance CG Generalist + Soon to be licensed customer
maxwood

Return to OTOY & Oculus: Render the Metaverse Contest Submissions