Suggestion : RGB Bokeh

Forums: Suggestion : RGB Bokeh
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Suggestion : RGB Bokeh

Postby snooz » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:18 am

snooz Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:18 am
Hi Guys ! I will talk to dev.
Do you think it's possible to add RGB support on custom shape bokeh ? It really miss chromatic aberration thing ! We want rgb shift or somthing like that. That will really add realistism on project.
Hope someone read that !
Thanks
snooz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Suggestion : RGB Bokeh

Postby elsksa » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:25 pm

elsksa Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:25 pm
Hi,
It's on the roadmap and won't be a simple image file map based implementation but expectedly better by being ray-traced, similarly to the bokeh aesthetic of the Universal Camera is able to achieve (quite rare among renderers).

However, I would rather say photo-realism than "add realism".
As a matter of a fact, high end lenses are designed to reduce it as much as possible.
In photography or cinematography, majority of people (photographers, DPs, etc), and myself included, do subjectively enjoy optical flaws but CA/fringing is the least favored one.
That said, it is a welcomed one that would more closely allow to reproduce vintage lenses which suffer from these flaws. So, the current Universal Camera would be able to allow users to setup both a "vintage bokeh aesthetic" with the associated flaws like CA, often present in those older optics.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion