Question regarding geometry scattering / octane proxy

Forums: Question regarding geometry scattering / octane proxy
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Question regarding geometry scattering / octane proxy

Postby Timmaigh! » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:20 pm

Timmaigh! Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:20 pm
Please help.

I am new to the Octane plugin stuff, i have been using 4.05 not so long ago only. Finally got plugin (for 3Dsmax) and 2020 version, for RTX and ability to instance complex geometry, but i have no clue what i am doing.

I wanted to add gravel to my current archviz scene. Had a high quality gravel model, lot of polys. I found out there is an option to export it OctaneProxy. Then i created said Proxy object in the archviz scene and instanced it dont know - 100 times with a plugin called Advanced Painter. It does "paint" the selected object on top of another one, in this case piece of terrain. Then i went on to save the scene as ORBX (to reopen and adjust stuff in Standalone), expecting the size of the file not to be big, since the gravel was proxy object. But UH-OH, the ORBX has 5GB! Without the gravel the scene/ORBX its 96MB. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Nevermind, i tried again and it seems to be working now. The issue was either that i did the scatterpainting of the octaneproxy object while having scanline renderer preselected instead of Octane, or the fact, that i have not turned on movable proxy on the proxy object.
R9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz, 2x RTX 4090, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB, Kingston KC3000 1TB, WD Caviar Gold 6TB, Win11 Pro 64bit
Timmaigh!
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion