Quick Help for Rookie

Forums: Quick Help for Rookie
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Quick Help for Rookie

Postby jatmraz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:16 pm

jatmraz Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:16 pm
New to both Houdini and Octane :)

Pre Octane...using Quixel/Megascan in Mantra to texture a surface was simple/straight forward. -> Import, drag and drop or add material node to geo and you get/see the bump/displacement in the scene view and render view.

My current workflow is creating an octane material, diving into it then using a NT_MT_UNIVERSAL Material, adding a quixel_octane_triplanar, loading the images (albedo, bump, normals and displacements, then connecting them to the NT_MAT_UNIVERSAL then that to the octane_material.

Between that I am using a NT_DISPLACMENT from the quixel_octane_triplanar to the NT_MATERIAL_UNIVERSAL.

I see the texture in the IPR but WITHOUT any displacement.

Added uvproject as well as uvflatten to make sure I tried both methods of applying the texture to the geo.

geoNodes.PNG

textureNodes.PNG

NoDisplace.PNG

I tried looking around, but can't seem to find a simple/or any instruction/help on something that is probably simple to fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
jatmraz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Quick Help for Rookie

Postby jatmraz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 pm

jatmraz Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 pm
Got it to work - using the below:

working.PNG
jatmraz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Quick Help for Rookie

Postby galleon27 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:27 pm

galleon27 Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:27 pm
The reason it didn't work is because Texture Displacement(NT_DISPLACEMENT) doesn't work with Triplanar projection. Vertex Displacement on the other hand works with triplanar.
Win 10 64bit // GTX 4090 + GTX 3090 // 5900x // 64GB // SideFX Houdini // C4D
galleon27
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion