opacity of material based on scene lighting

Forums: opacity of material based on scene lighting
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

opacity of material based on scene lighting

Postby omag » Thu May 14, 2020 7:36 pm

omag Thu May 14, 2020 7:36 pm
Hi any of you know a way of having a material opacity be determined based on if its being lit or not, similar to c4d's backlight effect shader. usage example: if i have an earth scene and want the city light texture only to show in the dark. Any help is very appreciated!
omag
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: opacity of material based on scene lighting

Postby pegot » Fri May 15, 2020 12:56 am

pegot Fri May 15, 2020 12:56 am
The Planetary environment seems to do something like that by default (showing the city lights texture when the camera is turned away from the sun). It would be great if whatever magic used to achieve that was exposed to the shaders as well!

The below link demos an incredibly detailed 3D Earth project done in Nuke. The artist / compositor who made it discusses the Daytime / Nighttime transitioning, which is done with scripting.

https://compozitive.com/3d-earth-in-nuk ... -textures/

I too would love to know if something similar can be done in Octane (maybe with OSL?).
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: opacity of material based on scene lighting

Postby omag » Fri May 15, 2020 4:37 am

omag Fri May 15, 2020 4:37 am
Yes im currently stuck with terragen and it certainly is the way to go for this sort of thing but the render times are stupid and i have somewhat managed to make now a shader in c4d octane for the atmosphere with that same nice falloff u can achieve in terragen. It seems like such a lost opportunity with the planetary env. feature of octane. Such huge potential on that, just by for example allowing the user to add multiple layers of whatever material ud like as in for example clouds ....also applying simple settings for the atmosphere just as changing color brightness, haze .. etc. I dont understand why something like this hasnt been added yet. for now ill use terragen and read up on osl scripts.
omag
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion