Octane what have you done to yourself (subscription only?)

Forums: Octane what have you done to yourself (subscription only?)
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane what have you done to yourself (subscription only?)

Postby Aryen90 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Aryen90 Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:26 pm
I just got the mail for the 2020 upgrade. Is it only subcription now? I really dont want nor need that. I just need to have my standalone working. I have had octane since 2012. I have always bought the upgrade when available and i wanted to do that now as well because of the RTX support.
Maybe i am misunderstanding and the enterprise upgrade isnt a subscription please explain.
i just dont see any justification for this price increase for a product that has always been a good price and suddenly becoming more expansive for 1 year then the previous 7 years.
Aryen90
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane what have you done to yourself (subscription only?)

Postby frankmci » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:41 pm

frankmci Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:41 pm
Aryen90 wrote:i just dont see any justification for this price increase for a product that has always been a good price and suddenly becoming more expansive for 1 year then the previous 7 years.

For one thing, simple inflation over the last seven years is probably 10 or 12%, depending on where you live. That's certainly enough to wipe out any profit margin for many companies. Unlike peanut butter or potato chips, Otoy can't just put less of the same stuff in the package and charge the same amount. They'd really shoot themselves in the foot if they started removing features.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Aryen90 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Aryen90 Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:56 pm
frankmci wrote:
Aryen90 wrote:i just dont see any justification for this price increase for a product that has always been a good price and suddenly becoming more expansive for 1 year then the previous 7 years.

For one thing, simple inflation over the last seven years is probably 10 or 12%, depending on where you live. That's certainly enough to wipe out any profit margin for many companies. Unlike peanut butter or potato chips, Otoy can't just put less of the same stuff in the package and charge the same amount. They'd really shoot themselves in the foot if they started removing features.

I understand but the cost increase is just WOW in total it was i think 500 dollar over those 7 years.. and now 500 dollars for 1 year.
Aryen90
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Antoncromas » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:18 pm

Antoncromas Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:18 pm
Enterprise sub was a little over 250$ seems like a good deal to me. . . perpetual vray license is for example almost 1200$, or 470$ a year for a single app plugin. Octane was being offered for a little over 180$ for studio sub last week.

Seems like you don't know how good you got it =) Also if you don't undercut your fellow artists 500$ is about 3rd of a single rendered image price and that's a conservative estimate, just saying.
Antoncromas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Goldorak Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:26 pm
Aryen90 wrote:I just got the mail for the 2020 upgrade. Is it only subcription now? I really dont want nor need that. I just need to have my standalone working. I have had octane since 2012. I have always bought the upgrade when available and i wanted to do that now as well because of the RTX support.
Maybe i am misunderstanding and the enterprise upgrade isnt a subscription please explain.
i just dont see any justification for this price increase for a product that has always been a good price and suddenly becoming more expansive for 1 year then the previous 7 years.

It’s 199 / year for 1 year maintenance , and 349 for 2 yrs. This is equivalent to last year’s plan (called enterprise all access )

The 499 price is only HIGHER, if you optionally also want to upgrade your perpetual V3/V4 license to V2020, which is an option we did not offer last year.

Note that if you had bought 2 years of maintence last year, the 2020 perpetual update is actually free. 1 year maintence is 150 less etc.. The price is based on when you last paid for an upgrade (for most that is V3, since V4 was free upgrade). For similar example - If you miss 1 year maintenance for a floating RS license, you have to buy another $600 license to get on the latest version again.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pegot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 pm

pegot Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 pm
Between the information in the forum and some of my emails with support I still do not have a complete understanding of the current purchase options. I am also still waiting answers from Otoy support regarding this.

I currently have a perpetual license for v4 Standalone and the v4 Blender Octane Plugin. I also have an Enterprise All Access subscription that is about to expire.

I asked about getting a perpetual license for v2020.x Support emailed me back with a link to buying a 199 upgrade maintenance All Access license. QUESTIONS:

What happens at the end of that maintenance period? Do I then own a perpetual license for v2020.x even if I choose not to enroll in another maintenance extension?

Does the above 199 All Access Maintenence upgrade also cover a perpetual license upgrade for the Octane Blender v2020.x Plugin? If not what is the path to acquire a perpertual v2020.x license upgrade from Octane Blender v4?

If I get the 199 maintenance All Access upgrade to v2020.x can I still try the test builds that might be released for new versions?

Really hoping to get some answers so I can make a purchase decision today. I already feel a bit burned as last year it was promised that the After Effects Plugin would be ready Q1 of 2018, which was a big determining factor in me getting a subscription. But as we know it is already end of year and no current AE Plugin has been released. Tired of waiting on vaporware.
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 pm

Goldorak Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:16 pm
pegot wrote:Between the information in the forum and some of my emails with support I still do not have a complete understanding of the current purchase options. I am also still waiting answers from Otoy support regarding this.

I currently have a perpetual license for v4 Standalone and the v4 Blender Octane Plugin. I also have an Enterprise All Access subscription that is about to expire.

I asked about getting a perpetual license for v2020.x Support emailed me back with a link to buying a 199 upgrade maintenance All Access license. QUESTIONS:

What happens at the end of that maintenance period? Do I then own a perpetual license for v2020.x even if I choose not to enroll in another maintenance extension?

Does the above 199 All Access Maintenence upgrade also cover a perpetual license upgrade for the Octane Blender v2020.x Plugin? If not what is the path to acquire a perpertual v2020.x license upgrade from Octane Blender v4?

If I get the 199 maintenance All Access upgrade to v2020.x can I still try the test builds that might be released for new versions?

Really hoping to get some answers so I can make a purchase decision today. I already feel a bit burned as last year it was promised that the After Effects Plugin would be ready Q1 of 2018, which was a big determining factor in me getting a subscription. But as we know it is already end of year and no current AE Plugin has been released. Tired of waiting on vaporware.

If you choose 199 /year maintenance (and do not upgrade to 2020 perpetual in the upgrade legacy V4 perpetual license button), then you are essentially on 30% discount of the full Enterprise subscription (now on the rent page). That means you do not keep a final 2020.x perpetual build if you don’t renew.

Last year we had no options for any perpetual licenses beyond V4. Users complained, so this year we added 2020.x final as a new perpetual option, but it obviously costs more than the default 199 rental maintenance (which many users are happy to continue). If you have a 1 year AA, then your discounted price for also upgrading to 2020 perpetual would be 350 (not 499), or free if you had 2 years AA, or bought V4 new with AA in the last 6 months (we wanted to be as fair as possible to anyone who spent money on purchases/updates recently - so your display price will vary based on these factors)

After Effects is set for an update once 2020 is stable. I apologize that it didn’t get updated sooner, but it fell down the priority list in favor of finishing the 2020 core and other critical features, but it is not forgotten.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pegot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:33 am

pegot Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:33 am
Goldorak wrote: If you have a 1 year AA, then your discounted price for also upgrading to 2020 perpetual would be 350 (not 499), or free if you had 2 years AA, or bought V4 new with AA in the last 6 months (we wanted to be as fair as possible to anyone who spent money on purchases/updates recently - so your display price will vary based on these factors).

Ok so I think I'm understanding this now. But it It says "No Upgrade Options" available to me on the Upgrade legacy perpetual licenses button. I thought what I had was a perpetual v4 Standalone license? That was what was provided us when we made the move from v3 to V4 and I subscribed to one year of Enterprise All Access. Am I still eligible for a v2020.x perpetual license for 350 due to my one year of All Access? I.E. is there something wrong with the website that I can not get that price, or am I still misunderstanding the terms?
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 am

Goldorak Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:18 am
pegot wrote:
Goldorak wrote: If you have a 1 year AA, then your discounted price for also upgrading to 2020 perpetual would be 350 (not 499), or free if you had 2 years AA, or bought V4 new with AA in the last 6 months (we wanted to be as fair as possible to anyone who spent money on purchases/updates recently - so your display price will vary based on these factors).

Ok so I think I'm understanding this now. But it It says "No Upgrade Options" available to me on the Upgrade legacy perpetual licenses button. I thought what I had was a perpetual v4 Standalone license? That was what was provided us when we made the move from v3 to V4 and I subscribed to one year of Enterprise All Access. Am I still eligible for a v2020.x perpetual license for 350 due to my one year of All Access? I.E. is there something wrong with the website that I can not get that price, or am I still misunderstanding the terms?

Try the website again, we just updated it!

Yes, you are eligible for the 350 perpetual 2020.x upgrade. Please follow up with [email protected] if it is not showing up for you.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby pegot » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:57 am

pegot Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:57 am
Oh darn. I just payed for the 199 Maintenance extension - which is what I was leaning towards anyway. Will I also have option to purchase perpetual next year if I so choose?
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff