Achieving Pixar look and feel

Forums: Achieving Pixar look and feel
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Achieving Pixar look and feel

Postby coilbook » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 pm

coilbook Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 pm
Hi,
We are trying to achieve this kind of look.

It seems that we cannot using octane or don't know how.

If you look at the images you see nice

1 foggy background (octane makes even the front of the image foggy no matter how much we try to tweak )

2 A bit purplish shadows not just grey

3 warm sun. Octane's sun does not have this warm yellowish feel. Octane renders beautifully but it doesn't have this kind of feel like in this cartoon. (Link https://youtu.be/Vr2yt5_X9ro)

is octane not for this kind of rendering? Are redshift and vray next are more suitable for this?

Thank you
Attachments
look and feel like this.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Achieving Pixar look and feel

Postby frankmci » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:47 pm

frankmci Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:47 pm
Octane, V-Ray, Redshift, Renderman, it doesn't matter. Realize that it's virtually certain Pixar accomplished each of those look and feel elements in the post composite, not right out of the render. Those kinds of things are exactly what post is for, and they are a lot easier to control that way.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:16 pm

coilbook Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:16 pm
frankmci wrote:Octane, V-Ray, Redshift, Renderman, it doesn't matter. Realize that it's virtually certain Pixar accomplished each of those look and feel elements in the post composite, not right out of the render. Those kinds of things are exactly what post is for, and they are a lot easier to control that way.

Thanks. Do you know any good and easy to learn post prod programs?
Do you think they rendered foreground as alpha and then added background that they tweaked separately?
Attachments
post.jpg
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:39 pm

frankmci Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:39 pm
[quote="coilbook"Thanks. Do you know any good and easy to learn post prod programs?
Do you think they rendered foreground as alpha and then added background that they tweaked separately?[/quote]

"Good and easy to learn." Well, that's awfully subjective. If this is all new to you, I suggest starting with something free, to learn the basic concepts. Take a look at any of these:
http://topicroomsvfx.com/2018/03/24/top ... softwares/

Back with Pixar's ToyStory 1, in the mid 90s, they did basic foreground/background/character element passes, but these days, a normal Hollywood level production involves much more sophisticated rendering and compositing. The Disney's Planes example that you chose is from just a few years ago, and things have gotten a lot more advanced in the 20+ years between the two.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they rendered not just the foreground separately, but probably various elements of the character, the mid-ground trees, the mountains, the mountain trees, the grass, the sky. Not only that, but probably different aspects of each element were rendered separately, such as the reflections, the diffuse color, diffuse lighting, direct lighting, the shadows, a depth map, etc. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's a vast topic. The Otoy forums really aren't the place to get into it, and it's way beyond the scope of this post, but there are a number of online courses for intro compositing and vfx at places like Skillshare, DigitalTutors, and Lynda. There are also more general, free, online communities like CreativeCow and Reddit where you can learn an awful lot from helpful, friendly people.

Good luck!
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:45 pm

coilbook Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:45 pm
frankmci wrote:[quote="coilbook"Thanks. Do you know any good and easy to learn post prod programs?
Do you think they rendered foreground as alpha and then added background that they tweaked separately?

"Good and easy to learn." Well, that's awfully subjective. If this is all new to you, I suggest starting with something free, to learn the basic concepts. Take a look at any of these:
http://topicroomsvfx.com/2018/03/24/top ... softwares/

Back with Pixar's ToyStory 1, in the mid 90s, they did basic foreground/background/character element passes, but these days, a normal Hollywood level production involves much more sophisticated rendering and compositing. The Disney's Planes example that you chose is from just a few years ago, and things have gotten a lot more advanced in the 20+ years between the two.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they rendered not just the foreground separately, but probably various elements of the character, the mid-ground trees, the mountains, the mountain trees, the grass, the sky. Not only that, but probably different aspects of each element were rendered separately, such as the reflections, the diffuse color, diffuse lighting, direct lighting, the shadows, a depth map, etc. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's a vast topic. The Otoy forums really aren't the place to get into it, and it's way beyond the scope of this post, but there are a number of online courses for intro compositing and vfx at places like Skillshare, DigitalTutors, and Lynda. There are also more general, free, online communities like CreativeCow and Reddit where you can learn an awful lot from helpful, friendly people.

Good luck![/quote]

Thank you!
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:38 pm

crackfox Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:38 pm
not sure what the problem here is.

its just some "aerial perspective", dont see anything specific to pixar. its a common technique in composition.
aerial perspective is a huge misnomer imo since it just refers to distant things disappearing into atmospheric haze.

using zdepth pass can be used to achieve this quite well. no need to separate objects into passes at all.
the depth info can be used in variety of ways to wash out the BG and make the focal element pop out more.

using passes in compositing extensively can sometimes be a pain in the rear imho. issues like masks not entirely having the same aliasing and produce unclean edges on matted objects.
tbh i would simply use a volume box in the BG . set density to suit.

anyway, blackmagic fusion would be a very good compositing choice. it has a free/indie tier and a very robust node compositing system.
i think its perfect for 3d compositing.

gl,
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 pm

coilbook Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 pm
crackfox wrote:not sure what the problem here is.

its just some "aerial perspective", dont see anything specific to pixar. its a common technique in composition.
aerial perspective is a huge misnomer imo since it just refers to distant things disappearing into atmospheric haze.

using zdepth pass can be used to achieve this quite well. no need to separate objects into passes at all.
the depth info can be used in variety of ways to wash out the BG and make the focal element pop out more.

using passes in compositing extensively can sometimes be a pain in the rear imho. issues like masks not entirely having the same aliasing and produce unclean edges on matted objects.
tbh i would simply use a volume box in the BG . set density to suit.

anyway, blackmagic fusion would be a very good compositing choice. it has a free/indie tier and a very robust node compositing system.
i think its perfect for 3d compositing.

gl,

Thank you
I need to find some tutorials with zdepth without doing any separations
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:07 am

crackfox Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:07 am
there is a bunch.

here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42cDXrBJtic

the principles are the same. zdepth pass is used as a mask of sorts(or luma matte in after effects language) for a solid colour layer set to dodge or screen blending mode.
your original footage is beneath this "haze" layer.
by changing the contrast values on the zdepth pass you can modulate the amount of haze. keep in mind to have the z pass in 16bit.
8 bit wont cut it.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:13 am

coilbook Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:13 am
I wonder why is it so hard for otoy to create zdepth with fog? So we can have no fog in front of the camera so many meters and then have gradual fog so our foreground character will be nice and colorful
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby crackfox » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 pm

crackfox Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 pm
not sure but afaik you can use gradient ramp to drive the density and have it mapped on the camera z axis.
i couldnt quite get it to work but maybe beppe or someone might help you out to set it up.
also tweaking the phase setting might work aswell sometimes.

in any case, like i said, you can simply use the volume box and place it at the mid-background of your scene is the simplest of the solution.
crackfox
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to General Discussion