Authentication for EVERY god damn session, internet is down

Forums: Authentication for EVERY god damn session, internet is down
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Authentication for EVERY god damn session, internet is down

Postby sbstnc » Wed May 15, 2019 3:52 pm

sbstnc Wed May 15, 2019 3:52 pm
God damn it
I've complained about this before, you're punishing paying customers with this online authentication every session garbage
I can't use a dongle because you won't code the thing to accept a combination C4D floating license and a dongle standalone for slave and it causes more license headaches than it solves. And I can't use online license because the network is patchy.
Internet has network outage and I have hours and hours of rendering to do to meet a deadline. Guess what, the stupid authentication requirements mean I can't render. I have had it with this. Other apps allow you to sign in once every 3 months, or week, or even once per 24hrs would help here. But as soon as I quit C4D or it crashes, authentication is gone, too bad, deadline won't be met. You could fix this so easily and you won't do it. Why? To prevent a couple of farms from cheating licenses you're going to cancel my ability to render? I paid for this, I want to use it. Figure something out, code the damn thing to take authentication once a week, just solve this please. I have completely had it with ongoing Octane license issues.
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Authentication for EVERY god damn session, internet is down

Postby sbstnc » Wed May 22, 2019 9:37 am

sbstnc Wed May 22, 2019 9:37 am
Come on guys can we sort something out please?

For the next version can we at AT MINIMUM one authentication every 24hrs or better 72 or a week. While my government may have invested in shitty internet, I shouldn't be locked out of software because of this, internet connectivity for a renderer I paid for (and have to pay for again if I want to keep using it past 4) is outside my control.

What is within control is the ability to code into the next releases a different authentication requirement. I can use Adobe with a login once every 2-3 months. They are a horrible company but at least I'm not locked out of any of that software when a connection drops.

So you want to prevent anyone from farming Octane so that you can try to force a monopoly with ORC, cool cool cool, but where is that getting you honestly? Just help out us end users a little. A 24hour authentication requirement will still let you prevent anyone farming it (that's another topic, people are leaving OTOY in droves because we can't scale quickly when in production) and it would solve a lot of issues for users in countries where internet is only semi reliable.

I'll state the obvious - I don't need authentication EVERY TIME I restart C4D when using Redshift.
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Wed May 22, 2019 11:51 am

PolderAnimation Wed May 22, 2019 11:51 am
you can buy a OctaneRender® Offline USB Dongle for 49 dollar.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sbstnc » Thu May 23, 2019 4:54 am

sbstnc Thu May 23, 2019 4:54 am
@ Polder
No, that doesn't work, and I've posted on the forums why.

I need to move licenses around to different machines. The dongle won't allow me to have the standalone (which is used as a slave for netrender power) active via the Dongle, with a C4D license that can activated online (ideally only once every 24hrs). The way they've coded the Dongle is to force the same method for standalone and C4D, which results in the dongle license not being active if you start C4D - it will activate C4D via web and also standalone via web, leaving a license trapped in the dongle - so essentially you have 2 licenses for standalone on the machine, one being inactive on the dongle not used, and 1 taking a license off the web. This is stupid.

ALSO Since ORC is a joke, I need to be able to activate the licenses on cloud computers for rendering, as there are no Octane farms (because OTOY are trying to force use of ORC). A dongle means the licenses never leave the studio. Again, so so stupid.

Why OTOY insist on such draconian license measures I don't know, but it's a reason to leave for something else that lets me work when I need to work, and doesn't lock me out when the internet is patchy.

If OTOY could (and they can but don't seem interested in) recoding the authentication of the dongle to allow dongle-standalone but floating-DCC, or allow one sign in per 24hrs or week, then we could get on with work.

Anyone from OTOY going to chime in? This has been going on since you removed offline authentication in 3.08, and I've been telling you this since then, and you keep ignoring it. There are other users in this situation. I would like to keep using Octane but you're making it nearly impossible, if I can't rely on being able to actually use something I paid for, or have to pay for again. I'm not paying for 2018 or 2019 if you can't guarantee that I can use it 24/7. And I think that's fair enough.
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sbstnc » Sun May 26, 2019 12:31 pm

sbstnc Sun May 26, 2019 12:31 pm
Hello, OTOY?
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon May 27, 2019 6:25 am

bepeg4d Mon May 27, 2019 6:25 am
Hi sbstnc,
we have talked about this issue several time on both forum and support tickets.
Since you want to use that machine for both network rendering, and plugin for scene editing, you just need another plugin license for that machine, not only Standalone, that’s it.
In this way, you can stop the daemon, and work with plugin whenever you want.
Both licenses can be sticked to the USB dongle, and moved whenever and wherever you want, even on machines not connected to internet.

For "Cloud" machines, you need extra Combo licenses, and you can also use Studio licenses in Backburner/Team Render, since they are obviously well connected to internet.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby sbstnc » Mon May 27, 2019 10:46 am

sbstnc Mon May 27, 2019 10:46 am
Respectfully, no, we've discussed the illogical behaviour of the dongle several times with no improvement to this coming from OTOY.

What we have not discussed it WHY we need to authenticate every single time C4D opens or every single time the slave/daemon crashes or quits. You've seized on our particular use of the dongle (which now no longer applies as we returned it) and skipped over the greater issue. Instead of just coding the plugin or standalone to authenticate once a week or whatever, OTOY keeps trying to force us down this dongle path as a band-aid when the behaviour of the dongle is fundamentally broken.

You may not know the state of the internet in my country. Our government is forcing everyone onto a national broadband network and this is patchy, often needing maintenance or going down at various times while they extend or "improve" the network. This is not getting better any time soon. When the net goes does, we can't render. This is extremely disruptive to business. So we need a better licensing solution from OTOY.

This solution is NOT the dongle. If we use a dongle for standalone AND C4D we lose any flexibility of licenses moving across boxes, OTOY doesn't seem to think this is a problem of course because it's in OTOY's interest for us to buy more licenses. As a small studio what we want is more slaves active, and for those slaves to be stable, we don't need matching slave/plugin pairs locked to machines. This is why we tried the dongle in the first place, to ensure slave stability, but it kept trapping license in the dongle unused, when C4D was opened. This was never explained to us until too late.

A much more simple solution would be to remove the requirement to authenticate EVERY time a DCC is opened. Give us 72hrs say between authentications. Give us a week. Heck, just do what Redshift does and let us authenticate ONCE.

RS doesn't stop renders in the middle of the night when the internet goes down for 20 minutes, as is common here. We would like to use Octane but OTOY is making this very difficult. It's gradually causing more pain and being less user friendly, especially when undertaking a lot of rendering at the end of a project. We need reliability across slaves and we need more slaves than plugins. As would ANY studio trying scale Octane rendering.

So why such a draconian authentication requirement? As I've said many time, as customers we feel punished by OTOY as a side effect of their quest to... what? Limit piracy? Stop farms using Octane (a bad idea of OTOYs anyway). We just want to work, and are asking OTOY to help us work. Give us the ability to work uninterrupted for at least a short period.
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sbstnc » Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 pm

sbstnc Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 pm
So can we have an authentication once per 24hrs or 72hrs or once a week? Can we render without interruptions?

I was rendering Redshift through the night - internet went down - Redshift was fine, it went on to the next item in the queue no problems. If that was Octane, it would have stopped because the slave tries to reestablish authentication after on every new render, ie queue item 2, 3, 4 etc. So many chances for it to go down. If authentication would stick, that would not be an issue. Like I said before, please just help us to work and render without hassle.
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby sbstnc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 am

sbstnc Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:31 am
Bump
Any progress on this? Saw a new update to standalone is out. Is anyone working on improved authentication so we don't have stopped renders all the time?
sbstnc
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:33 am

glimpse Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:33 am
Good day, Sbstnc.

from what I understand, You are trying to use dongle in wrong way. Single combo licence (standalone + plugin or multiple plugins) is meant to be use with single machine at a time - that has been the case since V1).

If You have single set of licences You can not have let's say standalone using on one node and plugin on the other - that's not how it is meant to work.

if You want to have plugin(s) and jump from computer to computer - that's one dongle. if You want render node, that's another standalone (and if You want to use it offline, ten another dongle as well).

Builds past V4 with Annual Extension grants a render node, that You can use during subscription period (not 100% sure if it's possible to add this to dongle, but I guess so).

all the things You are angry about is exactly the reason, why I can find one of the latest Redshift version online in less than a minute, and there is no OctaneRender out there.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to General Discussion