NV Link and Octane

Forums: NV Link and Octane
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

NV Link and Octane

Postby Remo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:15 am

Remo Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:15 am
Hi guys,
Im about to build a workstation with 2x 2080ti's.
Than the question came up if I should bridge the two GPU's with an NV Link...what is the adventage besides it doubles the VRAM?

Do you have an idea if this could be helpful with other 3d/design related software, such as the C4D, Redshift, Houdini, Adobe Suite, Allegorithmic Software, etc.?
Does it only add together the VRAM or also the cuda cores? This would make a pretty crazy difference for GPU driven simulations for example, right?
Would it speed up something? Doing no harm but also no help? Or would you suggest do even NOT use it :)?
Is this just helpful if you are using your machine as a gaming station, and you need all GPU power bundled to display frames on one monitor?

Also: If I intend to create a two-monitor-setup, would it make sense to hook each monitor to a different GPU? And again, would a NV Link be useful here too...? :)

Those are a lot of questions....but I hope some of you guys can give me a little bit of better insight here..:)

Thanks so much in advance,
R.
Remo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NV Link and Octane

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:18 pm

bepeg4d Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:18 pm
Hi Remo,
about NvLink, have a look at this other discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=69896#p353452
ciao Beppe