Move, Scale, Rotate Gizmo not centered.

Forums: Move, Scale, Rotate Gizmo not centered.
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Move, Scale, Rotate Gizmo not centered.

Postby tradedemon » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:36 am

tradedemon Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:36 am
Hi guys,

First post on this forum so hello to all :)
Using the Octane Standalone v4.

2 Questions (I did search for the answers on google and this forum but couldn't get any results).

1.) In terms of using the move, rotate and scale gizmo, I was wondering if there's anyway to center the gizmo on the geometry.
At the moment when I select say the move gizmo sometimes I don't see it because it's in some random place. I often have to zoom out quite a bit and it's usually far out and not near the geometry.

2.) Is there a shortcut key to frame/view a particular mesh on your scene ?

Thanks
Zee
tradedemon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Move, Scale, Rotate Gizmo not centered.

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm

bepeg4d Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm
Hi,
1. no, you need to reset the pivot in your modelling app, and update the mesh in Standalone.
2. no sorry, this is not possible.
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: Move, Scale, Rotate Gizmo not centered.

Postby jonbragado » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 pm

jonbragado Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:30 pm
As good a render engine application can be on the task it was created for, usability is a very important aspect of a software. Octane is a render engine, and it delivers on that very well indeed.
But there are some papercuts issues that any software package should consider to implement no matter what. Mainly becasue every user comes from standard dcc applications, and things like object selection (in viewport), transformation gizmos, pivot centers should be considered native functionalities of any dcc software. It makes it less disruptive to the user, avoids unnecessary back and forth and exports and allows the user to focus on rendering.

I highly suggest these things are addressed soon enough to create a pleasing experience of using the software.

best,
jonbragado
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion