Geforce RTX

Forums: Geforce RTX
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Geforce RTX

Postby Grumly » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:04 am

Grumly Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:04 am
pixym wrote:Is Vulkan kernel a new true kernel you will have in Octane or just an integration of an Nvidia technology ???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

Vulkan is a new standard API, whose intention is to replace OpenGL, with API far more close to the hardware.
Windows 10 Pro
Ryzen 3900x / 32Go Ram
1 x GForce RTX 2080Ti Founder Edition
1 x GForce 1080 Founder Edition
Grumly
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Grumly » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:05 am

Grumly Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:05 am
RTX 2080Ti Founder Edition ordered :)

One month to wait...
Windows 10 Pro
Ryzen 3900x / 32Go Ram
Grumly
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dtxtreme » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:12 pm

dtxtreme Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:12 pm
NVIDIA’s RTX speed claims fall short without game API support..
Expect 30-40% more speed over 1080TI for pure CUDA computing according to this article.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/25/nvi ... ccounter=1

I hope the CUDA benchmarks will turn out better than this.
RTX feels a bit risky to invest in right now.
:?
dtxtreme
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nuno1980 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:35 pm

nuno1980 Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:35 pm
dtxtreme wrote:NVIDIA’s RTX speed claims fall short without game API support..
Expect 30-40% more speed over 1080TI for pure CUDA computing according to this article.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/25/nvi ... ccounter=1

I hope the CUDA benchmarks will turn out better than this.
RTX feels a bit risky to invest in right now.
:?
New RTX will be ~30% faster than Pascal running CUDA API but running Vulkan API, RTX will be 6x~8x faster than Pascal. :)
NOTE: I'm sorry for bad english due to mute ;)

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
Zotac GF RTX 4090 NEW! <3 :mrgreen:
SSDs OCZ RD400 0.5TB and Crucial 2TB SATA3
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
CRT 21" Sony E530 :D
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Grumly » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 pm

Grumly Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 pm
Because Octane is not a Game... I listen more the Octane dev, who have already tried the RTX cards... than the journalists who speculate
Windows 10 Pro
Ryzen 3900x / 32Go Ram
Grumly
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dtxtreme » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:46 pm

dtxtreme Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:46 pm
nuno1980 wrote:New RTX will be ~30% faster than Pascal running CUDA API but running Vulkan API, RTX will be 6x~8x faster than Pascal. :)

Sure but will Octane still be the unbiased Octane we love using the new APIs??
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68584

I'm a bit worried!
dtxtreme
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Grumly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:48 pm

Grumly Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:48 pm
dtxtreme wrote:
nuno1980 wrote:New RTX will be ~30% faster than Pascal running CUDA API but running Vulkan API, RTX will be 6x~8x faster than Pascal. :)

I'm a bit worried!

Several things :
- a GAME need real time and must work on other hardware... do RTX on Game is biased.
- Octane does not want to be real time, just quicker but withiout beeing biased.
Several Technology in the RTX chips can help to stay unbiased but be quicker : the AI tensors can reduced the number of itteration needed with AI Denoiser and reduced the number of ray needed with selecting only ray which ended in the camera.

Vulkan gives a API to use these hardware, but does not decide if it's unbiased or not, it's the software, which use the API, which decides. For exemple a game can decide to use raytracing only for the sadows but a biased result for other part. Octane does not do that.
Windows 10 Pro
Ryzen 3900x / 32Go Ram
Grumly
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Timmaigh! » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:12 pm

Timmaigh! Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:12 pm
Grumly wrote:
dtxtreme wrote:

I'm a bit worried!

Several things :
- a GAME need real time and must work on other hardware... do RTX on Game is biased.
- Octane does not want to be real time, just quicker but withiout beeing biased.
Several Technology in the RTX chips can help to stay unbiased but be quicker : the AI tensors can reduced the number of itteration needed with AI Denoiser and reduced the number of ray needed with selecting only ray which ended in the camera.

Vulkan gives a API to use these hardware, but does not decide if it's unbiased or not, it's the software, which use the API, which decides. For exemple a game can decide to use raytracing only for the sadows but a biased result for other part. Octane does not do that.

I realized i am totally clueless now, when it comes to these different APIs and whatnot. I mean, there was never any doubt i am total layman and have no clue about any details regarding this stuff, but for years it was said that Octane is CUDA-based - whatever that meant, LOL. Now i read Octane is "built" on Optix, DirectX, will be on Vulkan, Metal, etc... what the hell? Does it mean that all these stuff, all these APIs - are equal - to what CUDA is? Or what is the difference?

And in addition to this question, one practical thing of primary interest to me, which i alluded to in one of my previous posts, but nobody cared to answer: say i preorder or simply buy on release one or 2 RTX cards, while simultaneously selling my current Pascal cards.... i read that Turing needs CUDA 10, which has not been released yet... will Octane work for me anyway, cause its OptiX, rather than CUDA based now? Or will i need to wait for the release of some CUDA 10 based Octane version for Turing cards to work at all? Like it used to be in case of Pascal and CUDA 8?

I am not asking now about all those hypothetical speed-ups, i get that is 2019 thing - i just care about basic functionality. I would hate to sell my Pascals, replace them with RTX card(s), only to find out current Octane release does not recognize them and i have to wait for a release of next version god knows when...
R9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz, 2x RTX 4090, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB, Kingston KC3000 1TB, WD Caviar Gold 6TB, Win11 Pro 64bit
Timmaigh!
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fedegarciaf » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am

fedegarciaf Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:34 am
Timmaigh! wrote:
I realized i am totally clueless now, when it comes to these different APIs and whatnot. I mean, there was never any doubt i am total layman and have no clue about any details regarding this stuff, but for years it was said that Octane is CUDA-based - whatever that meant, LOL. Now i read Octane is "built" on Optix, DirectX, will be on Vulkan, Metal, etc... what the hell? Does it mean that all these stuff, all these APIs - are equal - to what CUDA is? Or what is the difference?

And in addition to this question, one practical thing of primary interest to me, which i alluded to in one of my previous posts, but nobody cared to answer: say i preorder or simply buy on release one or 2 RTX cards, while simultaneously selling my current Pascal cards.... i read that Turing needs CUDA 10, which has not been released yet... will Octane work for me anyway, cause its OptiX, rather than CUDA based now? Or will i need to wait for the release of some CUDA 10 based Octane version for Turing cards to work at all? Like it used to be in case of Pascal and CUDA 8?

I am not asking now about all those hypothetical speed-ups, i get that is 2019 thing - i just care about basic functionality. I would hate to sell my Pascals, replace them with RTX card(s), only to find out current Octane release does not recognize them and i have to wait for a release of next version god knows when...

Why would you buy the cards before they get official support? It makes no sense.
fedegarciaf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Timmaigh! » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Timmaigh! Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 pm
fedegarciaf wrote:
Timmaigh! wrote:

Why would you buy the cards before they get official support? It makes no sense.

Well, i dont really want to, hence my question. If the response would be support would come in December, then obviously no buy now and keeping my Pascals until then. But per the other topic, the support should come in September, so i can go on with it, if i decide.
R9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz, 2x RTX 4090, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB, Kingston KC3000 1TB, WD Caviar Gold 6TB, Win11 Pro 64bit
Timmaigh!
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion