Geometry Caching?

Forums: Geometry Caching?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Geometry Caching?

Postby andybaumgar » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 pm

andybaumgar Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 pm
Hi, I am rendering a scene with octane scatter making many copies of 1 very complicated tree model. I think the transfer of the tree geometry to the graphics card is slowing things down (time to seeing the render start vs black screen is about 1/10 the time when the tree is not included)

Is it possible to cache the tree geometry in the graphics card so it does not have to be transferred each time? (or other ways to speed things up if something different is in fact happening). I wasn't able to find any tutorial on doing this.

Thanks!
andybaumgar
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Geometry Caching?

Postby Goldorak » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 pm

Goldorak Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:08 pm
Have you tested in Octane 4 yet? The scene graph is much faster. We are planning to have a file cache option in scene AI for fastest possible reloading of scene geometry on top of the other scene graph speed improvements in Octane 4.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Geometry Caching?

Postby coilbook » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 pm

coilbook Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 pm
Goldorak wrote:Have you tested in Octane 4 yet? The scene graph is much faster. We are planning to have a file cache option in scene AI for fastest possible reloading of scene geometry on top of the other scene graph speed improvements in Octane 4.

what about liquids and fire? Can they be precached and ready for the next frame sicne they have changing topology?
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion