Multiple GPU advice for Asus Prime Z370-A.

Forums: Multiple GPU advice for Asus Prime Z370-A.
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Multiple GPU advice for Asus Prime Z370-A.

Postby JimJamGraphics » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am

JimJamGraphics Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am
Hi all. First time poster so I'm not sure if this is the best place to be starting this topic?

I recently used PCPartPicker to build a new work machine. A lot of my work involves Cinema 4D, X-Particles (physics simulations) and obviously Octane, so I built it with that in mind. However, I also had an idea of expanding it to a more powerful, multiple GPU render machine. And that's where I'm hoping you clever lot can help me out. :-)

My current spec:

Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG Midi Tower Black
Asus Prime Z370-A
8th Gen Core i7-8700K
4 x Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
1x GTX 1080ti - 11GB GDDR5X
1 x 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD
PSU: Corsair CP-9020094-UK RM1000
I am considering buying another GTX 1080ti and I also have a GTX 1080 to throw into the mix.

The first question I have is regarding the best way to configure any additional graphic cards, and avoid bottle-necking with things like PCIE bus speeds? I'm aware that the motherboard will run:

1 x PCIE at 16x
2 x PCIE at 8x
1 x PCIE at 8x plus 2 x PCIE at 4x

What I'm less aware of and have found difficult to find an answer on line, is what GPU cards are bottle-necked by what PCIE bus speeds? And how that might effect performance for GPU rendering? Also, if I want to go down the route of adding GPU cards with a PCIE riser, what limitations in terms of bottle-necking come in to play then? There appears to be a lot more detailed information on bit mining rigs, and whilst they are similar setups, I also gather that they have different performance requirements.

Any help will be massively appreciated, Thanks, Jamie
JimJamGraphics
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion