Can anyone explain what volume medium is ?

Forums: Can anyone explain what volume medium is ?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Can anyone explain what volume medium is ?

Postby coilbook » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 pm

coilbook Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 pm
OK I understand. Volume medium has some extra settings which are actually only used with Volumes, so if you attach a volume medium to your environment, then the step length and ramps are not used. Same for the step length in the scattering medium and absorption medium.

To come back to the original question, I think there are 3 options for achieving the effect you are looking for:
1. Increase the scale of the scene in the direction away from the camera, so that the absorption effect seems to start beyond the point you want, or
2. Create a custom sphere around the area with a medium that you want to have attenuated light
3. Create a VDB with the shape you want, with densities lower at the edges, then use the ramps to change how it behaves near the edges where densities are lower

I would try option 1 and experiment with the Medium radius in the environment, before trying the other options.

If you can send us a scene, we can look into it too.[/quote]

Thanks Can you guys add that buffer zone from the camera and fog noise in octane 4 so we wont have to deal with spheres etc?
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to General Discussion