Giving a Geometry group a Render Layer ID

Forums: Giving a Geometry group a Render Layer ID
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Giving a Geometry group a Render Layer ID

Postby treddie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 am

treddie Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:07 am
Ok, that fixed it. But now I am confused. Turning shadow catcher off, leaves me with an opaque surface with cast shadows. That is ok, since I can composite in PShop with the shadow layer in multiply mode. But it would be nice to have shadows on a transparent shadow-catching surface. Octane does this, but it stops updating after the first pass. At any rate, I thought you HAD to enable shadow catcher to get a shadows-only surface (all other objects invisible). What then is the purpose of the shadow catcher option?
Win7 | Geforce TitanX w/ 12Gb | Geforce GTX-560 w/ 2Gb | 6-Core 3.5GHz | 32Gb | Cinema4D w RipTide Importer and OctaneExporter Plugs.
treddie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Giving a Geometry group a Render Layer ID

Postby bepeg4d » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:10 am

bepeg4d Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:10 am
You need to enable the Render Layer option, and also enable Alpha channel in Kernel setting, to make the plane with different layer ID transparent.
The Shadow catcher option was added before the Render Layer option, and should be used only for simple scenes.
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Previous

Return to General Discussion