Bake from high to low

Forums: Bake from high to low
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Bake from high to low

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Hesekiel2517 Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:41 pm
Hey there,

i have a lot of CAD Modells with many details. For a realtime application i want to bake the lighting in a Texture. It is impossible to get the same uv layout for the low-res Modell and the high-res Modell (in fact i want to avoid uving the high res modell at all).

Is there a way to bake the high res lighting directly to the low-res uv map?

Right now i'm baking the high res modell and then bake that to the lowres version in modo. But i really want to avoid this step. Maybe with osl it's now possible to do this.

Thank you in advance
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Bake from high to low

Postby frankmci » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm

frankmci Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 pm
Hesekiel2517 wrote:Hey there,

i have a lot of CAD Modells with many details. For a realtime application i want to bake the lighting in a Texture. It is impossible to get the same uv layout for the low-res Modell and the high-res Modell (in fact i want to avoid uving the high res modell at all).

Is there a way to bake the high res lighting directly to the low-res uv map?

Right now i'm baking the high res modell and then bake that to the lowres version in modo. But i really want to avoid this step. Maybe with osl it's now possible to do this.

As I understand it, you must have decent UVs on the high res model in order to capture its lighting as a baked texture. It doesn't have to be pretty, just non-overlapping, etc. If the UV spaces of the low and high res geometry align, it should be easy enough to use the high res baked lighting info on the low res geometry.

I'm mostly a Maya guy, and there's a pretty simple, "Transfer Attributes" tool that lets you line up your low res and high res geometry, then transfer the UV coordinates from one to the other based on simple proximity. There's probably a similar tool in whatever 3D app you use. Auto-UVing the high res mesh, then transferring that UV space to the low res mesh should be pretty straight forward, as long as the geometry isn't too wacky.

I hope that made sense.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am

Hesekiel2517 Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:09 am
Hey there,
thank you for your answer! I'm working with modo and as far as I know there is no function like Mayas Transfer Attributes. The Modo renderer can bake directly from the highres mesh to the lowres UVmap so i thought maybe it's possible to do this in Octane aswell. Since there is the new OSL Feature i though maybe it's possible to write a baking camera that is able to do this.
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hesekiel2517 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am

Hesekiel2517 Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:43 am
Hey there,

now finally i have a workflow that solves this problem:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=68998

Maybe it's usefull for someone
Hesekiel2517
Licensed Customer