Octane for c4d - instances and colours

Forums: Octane for c4d - instances and colours
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane for c4d - instances and colours

Postby enzo_87 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 am

enzo_87 Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:33 am
Good morning to everyone.
i explain a problem that, if it fixed, it could save a lot of my vram.
i work for a beauty company, so i have to show a lot of lipstick and other products with different colours in a precise order.
here is the problem: to give the correct colour to each product, i create the general product. i leave the colour part blank, without material.
after this i create the instance and i apply the colour to this one so as to see the colour only where i need.
if i don't tip the instance it looks fine with the colour applied, but if i tip it it becomes like the original object, so it shows up with a white/blank part.

see this example: there is a bottle with a liquid inside: glass and texture are applied to the bottle, gold is applied to the cap.
the liquid is left without material.
i created the instances with the colours applied. as you can see the instance render is not activated and the colours show up.
instance unabled.jpg

because i have in my scene too many of this objects, i'd like to activate the render instances, but if i do that, the colours disappear.
instance enabled.jpg

i know it's a different render engine, but for example this is possible in vray.
other thing possible is to put a render instance inside the mograph, with the render instance activated.
instead if i do this in octane, or if i forgot to deactivate one of those, it doesn't show up in the render at all.

i'm aware that it could be a silly thing, but i'm using 2 titans, with 12gb of vram, 10 because of w10, but sometime i struggle to fit everything inside it because of this problem.

thanks for any answer or any help,
lorenzo

PS: i hope is the right place to write this
enzo_87
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane for c4d - instances and colours

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 am

bepeg4d Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 am
Hi lorenzo,
did you try with 3.07-test-6a with new instance ID feature?
viewtopic.php?f=85&t=63236
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby enzo_87 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 am

enzo_87 Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 am
hey Beppe,
no i didn't because still a "test", i can't relay to deliver project on that yet.
anyway i read about that, but i wasn't sure it was what i needed.

i'm gonna try right now if it is, thanks Beppe.
Lorenzo
enzo_87
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby enzo_87 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 am

enzo_87 Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 am
Ok, tried the instance id with octane tag , but it doesn't work with the renders instance active, so the problem is still there the for the vram is like the whole object calculated.
i would need the option to activate the render instance, and apply different colours to them
enzo_87
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:26 am

aoktar Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:26 am
enzo_87 wrote:Ok, tried the instance id with octane tag , but it doesn't work with the renders instance active, so the problem is still there the for the vram is like the whole object calculated.
i would need the option to activate the render instance, and apply different colours to them

Yes it seems correct with tags. But you can use any effector on render_instances with mograph color shader in 3.07.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby enzo_87 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 am

enzo_87 Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 am
i see, but i don't need mograph.
i just need to apply a precise colour order, and i would need to be able to use the render instances saving vram.

let me try again to explain the problem:
10 lipstick with the colour assign, they are simple instances, not render instances, copy basically.
like this the colour works.
Vram occupied for this example is 311 Mb.
lip no instance render.jpg

now, i click on render instances, colour become as per the original lipstick that doesn't have material applied and is white basically, Vram 276Mb.
so i have 40 mb less. because i 1000 and 1000 of this object in the scene, and i can't use the render instances because i have to show the colours, the vram is full everytime and i struggle to do the renders.
lip  instance render.jpg

using the tag with the ID doesn't change the situation, i mean, if i use the render instance the colour will be white, if don't use them, the colour will be fine but i'm gonna use more vram, as per the example just written.

maybe you mean something else and i'm not understanding
enzo_87
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:32 am

aoktar Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:32 am
I know why/what do you wish. But assigning the instanceID will not be effective if you use render instances. See my scene how i did samething. Instances will automatically get IDs by their order and you can do a setup as in image. Let me know if it doesn't work well because i'm making a tweak on instance IDs right now.
Attachments
InstanceRange_coloring_by_gradient.rar
(101.17 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
a1.jpg
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby enzo_87 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 am

enzo_87 Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 am
Hi Aoktar.
I finally had a chance to try your file.
it seems to work fine for what I need, render_instances + precise order colour.
it's gonna be a long conversion job, to put all the colours I have into the gradient, rather than the separated materials I currently have, but at least after that I could save a lot of space in my vram.
once the 3.07 it's official I'll start to set up everything.

thank you,
Lorenzo
enzo_87
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion