Render Layer Mask problems

Forums: Render Layer Mask problems
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Render Layer Mask problems

Postby count.joshula » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 am

count.joshula Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 am
I'm having a problem where Render Layer Masks and Render Layer ID are not matching the geometry. The issues worsens when using depth of field - the edges get larger.

I'm rendering with Octane for C4D (R18) - 3.06.2

I have tried bringing the files in Photoshop, AE 2017, and Nuke (NC) and they all show the same.

I have tried TIF, PNG, and EXR, and at various bit depth. I've tried the three different C4D AA settings. I've tried increasing Max Samples, and playing with Filter Size.

All I want is get a mask for the screen of a smartphone model, so I can composite text onto the screen of the smartphone in After Effects.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find a tutorial to follow. So, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I have spent two days on this now, and I have tried everything I can think of. I've follow every forum post I can find. Every YouTube video I can find.

This also isn't a problem with a specific C4D project file. I've tried 3 different projects, starting from scratch.

Graphics card is a 980 TI.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
count.joshula
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Render Layer Mask problems

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 am

bepeg4d Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:43 am
Hi count.joshula,
what are you settings for the Info channel passes?
You need to have the Distributed ray tracing active:
25513C60-2D42-4B13-9594-6555ACCEAC3F.jpeg

Please, have a look at this picture:
AF6E645F-3875-4DE1-ABFD-3E87C1F1612B.jpeg

ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby count.joshula » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:08 pm

count.joshula Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:08 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried the three different sampling modes under Info Passes. They are all seem the same.

I'll see if I can find someone else's working project file from here on the forums, and try to render from that.
count.joshula
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:18 pm

aoktar Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:18 pm
It's not so hard. Have you disabled "keep environment"? Also check pre-multiply alpha in camera imager.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby count.joshula » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 pm

count.joshula Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:13 pm
Yeah, I've tried that.

Downloaded another C4D project from here on the forum, still having the problem.

I'm going to set it up on another computer and try out some tests.

Also going to try the standalone renderer.
count.joshula
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby count.joshula » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:10 pm

count.joshula Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:10 pm
Okay, so I downloaded a octane standalone scene that uses Render Layers from on the forums, and it looks great.

I then exported my personal scene from C4D plugin to the standalone using Render Layers and it looks great. Render Masks still have the outline, but I'll play around some more.

So, my next step is to try installing the C4D plugin on another computer and see what results I get.

This is driving me nuts, but at least I know now that Octane is at least capable of rendering clean Render Layers.

Maybe I should avoid masks?
count.joshula
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby count.joshula » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 pm

count.joshula Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 pm
I have potentially discovered the problem, and I would like some clarification.

Okay, so luckily this is probably just user error and I think I'm close to figuring it out.

The file that C4D saves is a Floating Point+ (premultiplied) .... and that file has a good alpha that I can use in After Effects (the border is gone). However, the one that is rendered out from having Render Passes enabled is only labeled as "Floating Point" and that has a black edge around the transparent parts.

How do I get the Render Passes file to save with premultiplied alpha? I have alpha checked in settings, and premultiplied alpha checked in camera imager.

A lot of the videos I've watched online say to disable the Save Multi-Pass Image that C4D produces.... but it's giving me the correct Alpha whereas Octane is not.

So, what might I be doing wrong?

Anyone have a good tutorial for me to watch?
count.joshula
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion