TitanX M & 1080Ti on the same system: which one primary gpu?

Forums: TitanX M & 1080Ti on the same system: which one primary gpu?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

TitanX M & 1080Ti on the same system: which one primary gpu?

Postby gamanimate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:42 am

gamanimate Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:42 am
Hello!
I am using the Cinema4D Octane plugin.

I have a TitanX (Maxwell) and recently I added another card to the system: a 1080 Ti to the system.

At this moment, the TitanX (Maxwell ) is set as the primary "main" GPU of the system,
while the 1080Ti is on the other PCI E slot.

I would like to know, in the case you had these same two GPUs, which one would you
set as the "main" graphic card of the system, and which one as the secondary.

I believe this question is relevant from many points of view, and many elements get involved.

Ofcourse, one thing to take onto account, would be to ensure as much performance
of the cards as possible, while doing Octane Rendering on the system.

But there are also other things to take onto account:

For example, I don't know how Cinema4D defines which card is the one used for all the OpenGL viewport functions, etc.
But I've done a check on the OpenGL tab in the Preferences, pressing the "Show OpenGL Capabilities" button,
looks like Cinema4D is taking the TitanX (Maxwell) as the card for OpenGl functions.

In other words, looks like Cinema4D takes the "Primary" card / gpu of the system, as the one to do all the OpenGL things.

I wonder if swapping the PCIe slots ( i.e.: making the 1080Ti the main/primary gpu in the system ) would bring me benefits
while working on C4D viewports, etc.. compared to using the TitanX M as the primary.

At the same time, I wonder if having the 1080Ti as primary card of the system, would have a cost
or high penalty on the 1080Ti performance while rendering Octane scenes and being the primary card
of the system at the same time.

In other words: I wonder what would be the best choice having all tasks onto account,
including Octane renders:

a) having the TitanX M as primary gpu and the 1080Ti as secondary

b) having the 1080Ti as primary gpu and the TitanX M as secondary

What would you do about this if this was your own system ?

Thanks a lot in advance !
gamanimate
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: TitanX M & 1080Ti on the same system: which one primary gpu?

Postby Lewis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:59 am

Lewis Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:59 am
a) Titan x M as display GPU.

couple of reasons for that:

1. it has 12GB vs 1080Ti 11GB Vram so for openGL/textures and windows you will have more VRAM and by that loose less than if 1080Ti would be primary GPU since Octane has available RAM as much as lowest GPU has free.

2. 1080Ti is Faster GPU so you can use Low priority on Titan X M and keep them both active in IPR and render without sacrificing your overall OpenGL/windows repsonsvivity and still render fastest possible way.
--
Lewis
http://www.ram-studio.hr
Skype - lewis3d
ICQ - 7128177

WS AMD TRPro 3955WX, 256GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090, 1 * RTX 3090
RS1 i7 9800X, 64GB RAM, Win10, 3 * RTX 3090
RS2 i7 6850K, 64GB RAM, Win10, 2 * RTX 4090
Lewis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion