Amfeltec GPU clusters MASSIVE price rise

Forums: Amfeltec GPU clusters MASSIVE price rise
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Amfeltec GPU clusters MASSIVE price rise

Postby khdownes » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:07 am

khdownes Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:07 am
So I bought an Amfeltec GPU cluster a few months ago with the quad host board and they quoted that when I buy the extra clusters individually it would cost $259.29 each
I contacted them again today to order an extra cluster and they've requoted me $470.21 plus $80 shipping!
I asked if that was an error, and they said "no, we've just increased the price". They've DOUBLED the price!

I paid an extra few hundred dollars originally to buy the quad host board instead of the single host board, but now the cost of an extra cluster is so exorbitant I can't afford it, I might as well have just bought the single channel host board and saved my money!

Has anyone else here had a bad experience with Amfeltec?
That's pretty shady business practices to sell people in on an already expensive hardware setup, then double the prices on the additional components after you're already locked in.
I can't imagine their cost of manufacturing has doubled in a few months, so this is obviously just pure predatory profiteering
khdownes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Amfeltec GPU clusters MASSIVE price rise

Postby mbetke » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:51 am

mbetke Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:51 am
I think the explanaition is basically based around the mining boom of virtual money like therium or what it is called. Even common GPUs raised in price and were not available.
PURE3D Visualisierungen
Sys: Intel Core i9-12900K, 128GB RAM, 2x 4090 RTX, Windows 11 Pro x64, 3ds Max 2024.2
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Amfeltec GPU clusters MASSIVE price rise

Postby khdownes » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 am

khdownes Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 am
Damn, I guess that probably explains it then.
Disappointing that such a complete waste of resources and energy as cryptocurrency mining is also detrimentally affecting other, more useful industries.
khdownes
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion