Octane Scatter onto plane with material displacement

Forums: Octane Scatter onto plane with material displacement
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane Scatter onto plane with material displacement

Postby Bowser16NB » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 pm

Bowser16NB Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 pm
Hello,

I have a default plane that has a material with significant displacement applied.

When I create a simple Octane Scatter with a sphere inside and drag my plane into the 'Surface' distribution,,the spheres map to the flat 'pre-displaced' plane,,,,NOT the displaced plane.

I've tried using c4d's native displacer effector and mapping in my displacement map that way however max segments limit the quality and slow down performance.

Here are my questions:

1.) Is there a way to get octane scatter to map to an object that has material displacement applied. For example, I have a terrain with large peaks and valleys. I want the scatter to map accordingly to these high and low areas. I DO NOT want the scatter to be applied only to the predisplaced flat geometry.

2.) Does anyone know if there's a way to bake your material displacement and/or convert it to hard surface geometry?

I'm in Octane C4D v3.06.2

Thanks
NB
Bowser16NB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Octane Scatter onto plane with material displacement

Postby aoktar » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 pm

aoktar Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 pm
Bowser16NB wrote:1.) Is there a way to get octane scatter to map to an object that has material displacement applied. For example, I have a terrain with large peaks and valleys. I want the scatter to map accordingly to these high and low areas. I DO NOT want the scatter to be applied only to the predisplaced flat geometry.

Have you tried position parameters with a texture in scatter object?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Bowser16NB » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:46 am

Bowser16NB Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:46 am
Hi aoktar,

I tried that method and it kind of works however it doesnt map exactly to the surface and it inconsistent in many areas. Is there a way to bake hard surface geometry from a material displacement? Or is there a solution that could be made?

NBP
Bowser16NB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RahiSan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:35 am

RahiSan Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:35 am
Hi,

depending on how accurate you need it to be you could use the displacer object to deform your plane.
RahiSan
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion