How do I fit my UVW to bitmap?

Forums: How do I fit my UVW to bitmap?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

How do I fit my UVW to bitmap?

Postby MantasKava » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:17 am

MantasKava Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:17 am
Hey there,

So I guess this is kinda simple question- how do I fit UVW map to bitmap? In 3ds max this feature is called "Bitmap Fit" under UVW options.
Because when I use non square textures they get cropped if using box projection. So how do I fix this? Ofcourse you can try transforming/scaling image or uvw map manually but it's a pain in the ass to get it right.
Thanks!

P.S. C4D user here.
MantasKava
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How do I fit my UVW to bitmap?

Postby Chrmez » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:11 am

Chrmez Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:11 am
If I get you right.. you just want to project a texture without unwrapping your object?

Yeah you can try to do a box/flat project or whatever works best and then scale and move the texture. Sometimes this works, depending on your object/texture. If you want to add displacement maps later you are screwed anyway as these only work on unwrapped objects/UV projection. Best is probably to just unwrap your object properly.

If you aren't that comfortable unwrapping objects I can recommend Unfold3D. I use this all the time. It's super simple and has saved me many times. Look up some tutorials on Unfold3D on Youtube and see if its something for you.
C4D R18 / C4D R19

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X — MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon
MSI 1080 Ti FE — 2 x PALIT 980 Ti Super Jetstream
Corsair AXi 1500W — Corsair Vengence 32GB 3000MHz LED White
Chrmez
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MantasKava » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 am

MantasKava Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 am
Chrmez wrote:If I get you right.. you just want to project a texture without unwrapping your object?

Yeah you can try to do a box/flat project or whatever works best and then scale and move the texture. Sometimes this works, depending on your object/texture. If you want to add displacement maps later you are screwed anyway as these only work on unwrapped objects/UV projection. Best is probably to just unwrap your object properly.

If you aren't that comfortable unwrapping objects I can recommend Unfold3D. I use this all the time. It's super simple and has saved me many times. Look up some tutorials on Unfold3D on Youtube and see if its something for you.

Yes I want to project a texture without unwrapping it. And for archviz modeling I think you can get away without unwrapping like 90% of the times :) Simple box/flat UV maps is enough most of the time (and displacement maps works this those as well by the way).
So the only problem is that theres alot of textures I have that is non square aspect ratio (like all the wood textures often is longer than wider) but without re-scaling UV map these images gets cropped, and as I said adjusting UV's scale manually to fit the image perfectly is a pain in the ass.
Yeah I know about unfold3d and I own that, but usually I model simple things and I don't want to spend some extra time for exporting/importing things just to have my flat UV map the correct aspect ratio I want.
I really think there should be a simple way to achieve this? As I said, 3ds max has this feature I'm looking for.
MantasKava
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MantasKava » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:34 am

MantasKava Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:34 am
And by the way, in the project texture node there is a "external transform" input which i thought would be the feature I'm looking for, but when I click it and select my image it only creates bitmap node inside the material editor. What's up with that?
MantasKava
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 pm

aoktar Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:27 pm
Planar/Box projection and "Fit to Image" command.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby MantasKava » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 pm

MantasKava Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 pm
aoktar wrote:Planar/Box projection and "Fit to Image" command.

Where can I find this command?
MantasKava
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MantasKava » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:23 pm

MantasKava Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:23 pm
MantasKava wrote:
aoktar wrote:Planar/Box projection and "Fit to Image" command.

Where can I find this command?

Nevermind I found it !

Though it is kinda weird that it doesn't work in cubic projection mode.
MantasKava
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion