CPU impact on a GPU server

Forums: CPU impact on a GPU server
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

CPU impact on a GPU server

Postby smearballs » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 pm

smearballs Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:35 pm
I'm thinking of buying one of these GPU servers for Octane rendering and trying to configure a machine with the best bang for the buck.

https://www.mediaworkstations.net/product/gpux/

I'm wondering how much CPU power affects performance on a rig like this. Does it matter which chip I would get on this machine, or how many cores the server has since octane is using exclusively the GPUs?

Same question goes for Ram -- is there a certain amount of ram and CPU power that would be redundant on a GPU server like this when it comes to Octane rendering?

Anyone have experience with a server like this or a recommendation on configuration would be greatly appreciated.
smearballs
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: CPU impact on a GPU server

Postby smicha » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 pm

smicha Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:40 pm
32gb of RAM is recommended. CPUs get v4 e5 series . See my build on 14 GPUs her on the forum
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Terryvfx » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 am

Terryvfx Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 am
smicha can you please elaborate a bit more on why this numbers makes sense? I've also been wondering the need for an expensive GPU and a lot of ram on a setup that would only use GPUs, I do understand that you need a CPU capable of handling the amount of PCI-e lanes required for all the cards to be active but beyond that I don't know.
Terryvfx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smearballs » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:59 am

smearballs Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:59 am
Indeed, that's my biggest question. Cpu price on a system like this can vary by thousands of dollars. Wondering what grade of Cpu would be capable of operating 8 or more GPUS efficiently. There must be a threshold for a sufficient chip where price point and performance max out.
smearballs
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:47 am

smicha Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:47 am
Terryvfx wrote:smicha can you please elaborate a bit more on why this numbers makes sense? I've also been wondering the need for an expensive GPU and a lot of ram on a setup that would only use GPUs, I do understand that you need a CPU capable of handling the amount of PCI-e lanes required for all the cards to be active but beyond that I don't know.

RAM usually you should have 2x more than VRAM, so for titan X is goes to 24GB of RAM. But if your scene exceeds that and you'd want to have textures over the core (loaded into RAM) you'll need more RAM. 16GB setup shall work too, so you may save 100$ and go with a single 16GB ECC stick

What is the cost of the case you want to buy? If you want to go as cheap as possible 2603v4 is an option, or 1620v4.

14gpus...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58045
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glimpse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:30 pm

glimpse Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:30 pm
smearballs wrote:Indeed, that's my biggest question. Cpu price on a system like this can vary by thousands of dollars. Wondering what grade of Cpu would be capable of operating 8 or more GPUS efficiently. There must be a threshold for a sufficient chip where price point and performance max out.

You would not get any benefit in Octane from anything more than good quad core ;) the problem is You might not be able to run more GPUs due to issues with motherboards for those quad cores.
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am

rappet Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am
glimpse wrote:
smearballs wrote:Indeed, that's my biggest question. Cpu price on a system like this can vary by thousands of dollars. Wondering what grade of Cpu would be capable of operating 8 or more GPUS efficiently. There must be a threshold for a sufficient chip where price point and performance max out.

You would not get any benefit in Octane from anything more than good quad core ;) the problem is You might not be able to run more GPUs due to issues with motherboards for those quad cores.

Hey Glimpse,
But when loading scenes into Octane all cores are in progress, so 28 cores (dual xeons 14 cores) must be much faster then i7 quad or hexa core doing this particulary Octanejob, no?
Maybe KonstantinosD can help us out here?
@KonstantinosD, if it not too much to ask, it would be great if you could test the difference between the dual xeon and the i7 in loading a heavy and complex Octane scene
cheers,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion