Hide Lights/Emitters in refractions

Forums: Hide Lights/Emitters in refractions
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Hide Lights/Emitters in refractions

Postby joshstudebaker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:26 pm

joshstudebaker Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:26 pm
Using octane in C4d.

So i have some car headlights, and in order to get the "look" i want reflecting in the headlight interior, i need to place an area light inside the headlight. That means that the area light is behind the front glass of the headlight. When i do this however, the square plane of the area light is visible in the refractions of the front headlight glass. I've tried using the octane object tag to disable camera visibility, but this has no effect when viewing a light through a refraction. Is there really no way to disable camera visibility of a light when viewed through a refractive object?

Thanks!
joshstudebaker
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Hide Lights/Emitters in refractions

Postby aoktar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:33 pm

aoktar Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:33 pm
Why don't you play with light tag parameters? Don't you use "Octane Arealight" preset from LV/objects menu?
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby joshstudebaker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:58 pm

joshstudebaker Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:58 pm
Yes, but there is no option for hiding the light SOURCE from refraction. Octane seems pretty limited as far as tools to do these kinds of things.
joshstudebaker
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:19 pm

aoktar Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:19 pm
joshstudebaker wrote:Yes, but there is no option for hiding the light SOURCE from refraction. Octane seems pretty limited as far as tools to do these kinds of things.

You can hide it from camera and refr/refl by opacity.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Tag12345 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:21 am

Tag12345 Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:21 am
Hi Aoktar,

Posted about this in the c4d section and in the general.

This Original poster probably didnt see my thread --

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58770

Ive already shown that if you turn both Opacity and See in Camera OFF, the light becomes Irelevant, its as if it wernt there.

Instead, what I think we are hoping for is an OBJECT-less illumination effect.
Where you can light objects and hide the SHAPE of these objects without messing with the actual lighting. But it seems that the problem with area lights, is that they take forms of Emmission objects, instead of a light with no object affiliation.

Right now there is no real option to exclude the object illumination from reflections or refracted objects without turning off the light completely.

Turning off Opacity acts as a main controller for everything. So that in itself is pretty useless, besides fading the actual object.
General Visibility along with Camera visibility off gets us half the way there, but I think adding a Blur option for lights in reflections might be nice, or just overall adding in an option for turning off being seen in reflections/refractions per light object.
Tag12345
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mesut » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:46 am

mesut Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:46 am
why don't you zero out the opacity in your emissive material?
this way illumination is provided but you don't see the light (no pun intended).

Tag12345 wrote:Hi Aoktar,

Posted about this in the c4d section and in the general.

This Original poster probably didnt see my thread --

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58770

Ive already shown that if you turn both Opacity and See in Camera OFF, the light becomes Irelevant, its as if it wernt there.

Instead, what I think we are hoping for is an OBJECT-less illumination effect.
Where you can light objects and hide the SHAPE of these objects without messing with the actual lighting. But it seems that the problem with area lights, is that they take forms of Emmission objects, instead of a light with no object affiliation.

Right now there is no real option to exclude the object illumination from reflections or refracted objects without turning off the light completely.

Turning off Opacity acts as a main controller for everything. So that in itself is pretty useless, besides fading the actual object.
General Visibility along with Camera visibility off gets us half the way there, but I think adding a Blur option for lights in reflections might be nice, or just overall adding in an option for turning off being seen in reflections/refractions per light object.
win7prof. | i7 4930, 32gb | 2*980ti 6g for renderings | 1*660 for displays
mesut
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion