Maya users plead for some sort of progress update on Plugin

Forums: Maya users plead for some sort of progress update on Plugin
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Maya users plead for some sort of progress update on Plugin

Postby Goldorak » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Goldorak Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:28 pm
Refracty wrote:The dosis of information you provide is really homoeopathic.

I am a loyal customer for the last 6 years using it with various plugins almost every day. The "Maya experience" was the worst experience ever I had with software. Not because of the buggy test releases, weak support and delayed updates. The false promises in terms of schedule and what is going on was not acceptable.

I am not blaming the whole company since there are other plugins doing well with excellent support and regular updates.
At the moment it is too dangerous to use the Maya Plugin for a serious production.

But I don't give up the hope that there will be a great Maya development comming soon.
All the best for shaping a good future for the Maya Plugin.

Thank you Refracty. I am confident the expended team will deliver and support Maya integration in line with everyone's (including our own) high expectations for this product - starting with weekly roadmap progress reports mapping the remaining steps mapped to beta and GM, plus making sure V2 users are supported fully as well as we roll out final V3 (2.x is maintained - we just updated core 2.26 to support Pascal).

Communication and support, as you pointed out, is vital to the customer experience. We're focusing on that as much as we are on the tech roadmap. As you mentioned, other Octane plug-ins are doing really well with happy users. Maya has to be at this level, no less.

We recently expanded the Max development team, just as we are doing now with Maya (which similarly took some time to get the right devs lined up), and the results have been immediate and impactful for the Max plug-in. For example, one step material conversion getting solved in V3 right away. Also much deeper user feedback from customers driving features going into each next release, with weekly calls between the dev and selected Octane users from different areas (Archviz, M&E etc.).
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:18 am

itsallgoode9 Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:18 am
NOW THE REPLY FEATURE HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM ALL MAYA THREADS?????????????? WTF

NOW WE CAN'T EVEN GET SUPPORT ON BUGS OR ASK QUESTIONS. WTF

YOU LITERALLY TURNED OFF ANY AND ALL OF OUR MAYA RELATED SUPPORT . WTF
Last edited by itsallgoode9 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:20 am

itsallgoode9 Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:20 am
You completely bork the release windows then you shut us up by taking away our ability to post?
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:27 am

haze Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:27 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:You completely bork the release windows then you shut us up by taking away our ability to post?

This has now been reverted back as of a few minutes ago, and wont be changed again without getting feedback, feel free to post on release threads. For bug reports, please use the bug reports section, support is always available via the helpdesk also.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:34 am

itsallgoode9 Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:34 am
haze wrote:
itsallgoode9 wrote:You completely bork the release windows then you shut us up by taking away our ability to post?

This has now been reverted back as of a few minutes ago, and wont be changed again without getting feedback, feel free to post on release threads. For bug reports, please use the bug reports section, support is always available via the helpdesk also.

it most definitely is not. there is no option to make new posts. how am i to get support for a product i paid for if I can not make new posts?
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:35 am

itsallgoode9 Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:35 am
so let me get this clear, Otoy is not allowing new topics to be created in the Maya forum? Is this correct?
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:18 am

haze Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:18 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:so let me get this clear, Otoy is not allowing new topics to be created in the Maya forum? Is this correct?

No this is definitely not the case, we're looking into why that's happening, apologies for the inconvenience
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby calus » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:38 am

calus Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:38 am
haze wrote:
itsallgoode9 wrote:so let me get this clear, Otoy is not allowing new topics to be created in the Maya forum? Is this correct?

No this is definitely not the case, we're looking into why that's happening, apologies for the inconvenience

The main Maya section was locked, on purpose, 1 month ago,
as Kai explained in this topic :
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=56544#p290112

k.a.schubert wrote:So I locked the main forum for new topics.
This is so new topics get created exclusively in the sub forums.
This is so there is more structure in the maya forum.
Here is the place, to request new sub forums.
If enough people +1 a topic proposal, I will consider it.

In theory this was not a bad idea for auto-classification of the the topics.
But in practice it can be hard to find which subsection fit to which topic,
especially since most of the topics have always been posted in the general maya section before.

It's often not obvious for a user to know in advance :
- if his problem is a real bug or a feature request,
- or if he needs quick help from another user (how to use this feature ? how did you solve this issue ?).
- or more information from the developer (Why this feature works this way?).

Anyway, thanks to Haze, we can now post again new topics in the general Maya section as before, this can comes more handy sometimes.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:47 pm

itsallgoode9 Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:47 pm
thank you for fixing that .
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Refracty Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:48 pm
I see the commitment is there to shape a good Maya Plugin.
Regular updates are a must. Even if there is not much to say from week to week, we would highly appreciate weekly information and "care".

Goldorak wrote:
Refracty wrote:The dosis of information you provide is really homoeopathic.

I am a loyal customer for the last 6 years using it with various plugins almost every day. The "Maya experience" was the worst experience ever I had with software. Not because of the buggy test releases, weak support and delayed updates. The false promises in terms of schedule and what is going on was not acceptable.

I am not blaming the whole company since there are other plugins doing well with excellent support and regular updates.
At the moment it is too dangerous to use the Maya Plugin for a serious production.

But I don't give up the hope that there will be a great Maya development comming soon.
All the best for shaping a good future for the Maya Plugin.

Thank you Refracty. I am confident the expended team will deliver and support Maya integration in line with everyone's (including our own) high expectations for this product - starting with weekly roadmap progress reports mapping the remaining steps mapped to beta and GM, plus making sure V2 users are supported fully as well as we roll out final V3 (2.x is maintained - we just updated core 2.26 to support Pascal).

Communication and support, as you pointed out, is vital to the customer experience. We're focusing on that as much as we are on the tech roadmap. As you mentioned, other Octane plug-ins are doing really well with happy users. Maya has to be at this level, no less.

We recently expanded the Max development team, just as we are doing now with Maya (which similarly took some time to get the right devs lined up), and the results have been immediate and impactful for the Max plug-in. For example, one step material conversion getting solved in V3 right away. Also much deeper user feedback from customers driving features going into each next release, with weekly calls between the dev and selected Octane users from different areas (Archviz, M&E etc.).
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion