Octane 4

Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Octane 4

Postby smicha » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Win7, Modo 10.1, Octane for Modo and Sketchup, nVidia latest, TITAN+3x780 6GB, 2600K, P8P67WS, 32GB, 1350W
SMH10, EK, Airplex_480, SR1_560, 20xNB_PL2, 2xD5, Aquaero 6XT
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
User avatar
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 3067
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:13 pm
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Octane 4

Postby aggiechase37 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:46 am

Well that's exciting.
Chase

Win 10 - Intel 4770 - 2x Nvidia 1070 - 32 gigs RAM - C4D r16

http://www.luxemediaproductions.com
aggiechase37
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Octane 4

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:17 am

Um, okay, I'm kinda getting to the point where I'm actually becoming interested in investing in Otoy... where can I get me some Otoy stocks?....
Win7x64Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 2x EVGA 980Ti Hybrid + 1x EVGA 780Ti SC || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || NZXT H630 || LightWave Plug
User avatar
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: Octane 4

Postby Weezer » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:57 am

Does this mean we can buy a PowerVR PCIe card, shove it in our machines, download Octane 4 (when it's done) and render 10x faster than we can now with a standard GPU?

If that's what this means, then shut up and take my money,
Weezer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:08 am

Re: Octane 4

Postby Goldorak » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:31 am

Weezer wrote:Does this mean we can buy a PowerVR PCIe card, shove it in our machines, download Octane 4 (when it's done) and render 10x faster than we can now with a standard GPU?

If that's what this means, then shut up and take my money,


The ASIC was intended for mobile devices (~2 Watts), but the development board that PowerVR provided us was in fact running on a PCIe card :)

IIRC, this HW can be scaled up to ~60x on a single board. So a desktop class RT chip could be running at 6 billion rays/second in < ~120 Watts. This would still leave plenty of room for normal GPU cores, which we would still use to handle the other parts of the rendering framework.
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 1527
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: Octane 4

Postby Yambo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:03 pm

FrankPooleFloating wrote:Um, okay, I'm kinda getting to the point where I'm actually becoming interested in investing in Otoy... where can I get me some Otoy stocks?....


I would be really interested to know if it's really possible.
4x 980ti EVGA | 5930k | Asus X99 E WS 3.1 | corsair 64GB RAM |SSD 500GB system + SSD 2TB working files + 6TB HDD storage WD |
Phanteks Enthoo Primo | 1600W EVGA T2 BLACK | It's the fastest 4x980ti build: http://goo.gl/hYp8e0 :)

https://yambo.me
User avatar
Yambo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 pm
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Octane 4

Postby Timmaigh » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:59 pm

Goldorak wrote:
Weezer wrote:Does this mean we can buy a PowerVR PCIe card, shove it in our machines, download Octane 4 (when it's done) and render 10x faster than we can now with a standard GPU?

If that's what this means, then shut up and take my money,


The ASIC was intended for mobile devices (~2 Watts), but the development board that PowerVR provided us was in fact running on a PCIe card :)

IIRC, this HW can be scaled up to ~60x on a single board. So a desktop class RT chip could be running at 6 billion rays/second in < ~120 Watts. This would still leave plenty of room for normal GPU cores, which we would still use to handle the other parts of the rendering framework.


How do the current Nvidia cards compare to that?

BTW, talking about OTOY stock, reading the report i thought the same, LOL. If only i was in position i had money to invest into something like that :)
Intel Core i7 980x @ 3,78GHz - Gigabyte X58A UD7 rev 1.0 - 24GB DDR3 RAM - Gainward GTX590 3GB @ 700/1400/3900 Mhz- 2x Intel X25-M G2 80GB SSD - WD Caviar Black 2TB - WD Caviar Green 2TB - Fractal Design Define R2 - Win7 64bit - Octane 2.57
Timmaigh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: Octane 4

Postby aggiechase37 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:54 pm

So I guess I feel like I'm not clear in terms of what we are to expect out of this.

So are we going to have to buy a different sort of card for this to be able to work? Or is my standard Titan X going to be able to run this? Just trying to get an idea of exactly what I'll need to be able to take full advantage of V4 in terms of PC specs.
Chase

Win 10 - Intel 4770 - 2x Nvidia 1070 - 32 gigs RAM - C4D r16

http://www.luxemediaproductions.com
aggiechase37
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Octane 4

Postby Notiusweb » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Otoy, any newer footage (preferably HD video, greater than 5 minutes, 7.1 surround sound, narrated by Morgan Freeman) that we could see of this? (Accompanying musical score by John Williams would be preferred as well....)
Win7 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan X - 1500W Thermaltake
External: 6 Titan Z / 1 Titan X, 3 Titan X Pascal - 1600W EVGA P2 & T2
Plugs: 3DSMax, C4D, Daz, Houdini, Lightwave, Sketchup
User avatar
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 am

Re: Octane 4

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Maybe once v4 comes out us Maya users will finally get our v3 plugin. :roll:
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 am
Location: New York City
Next

Return to General Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:00 pm [ UTC ]