Quixel SUITE/PBR shader for Octane 2.x

Forums: Quixel SUITE/PBR shader for Octane 2.x
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: Quixel SUITE/PBR shader for Octane 2.x

Postby miko3d » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:19 am

miko3d Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:19 am
pixonoid wrote:
miko3d wrote:
pixonoid wrote:Hi,

I have a problem now with the new Sepcualr workflow Octane (srgb) profile
it was kinda working in 2.02 (when they added the profile), i only had to invrt the roughness
but now in 2.03 (they fixed the naming of the maps - and something i dont understand) the roughness is off, inverting doesnt help and i cant imagine playing with the gamma would do any good.

Hi Pixonoid,

how are you hooking your textures? are you building your own material?SRGB is not plug and play and unless you want to experiment I would advise against it.

i have added a MAX version of the PBR shader for Octane in the thread ,if all you want to do is work with the suite just use the Octane(Disney) profile in DDO load the textures in the shader and you should be good.
Hope it helps

True, i just thought they made a specific profile to make it plug'n'play.
In 2.02 Quixel export of the Octane SRGB everything was kinda right, i only needed to invert the roughness ?
your shader is a big help and i use it. I'm just fiddle around with my workflow, that "monster" shader is kinda clunky in max.

i build my own mats all the time, i was just hoping that if they make a specualr octane profile and hand me albedo,spec,roughenss and normal
it wouldn't be neccesary to build up a huge colorcorrection, falloff, etc. material to get it right in octane. :(

Remember that the way PBR (the standard in software like Quixel suite S painter,etc.. )works is not the same as we are used to, a lot has to do in how the workflow is being simplified and how the textures are authored differently.Thats why in octane 2.x we cant have a simple plug and play solution.A shader needs to be built in addition to a texture preprocess(calibration).

Still well worth it,as PBR is a material to rule them all, so basically you can have any (solid) material by just swapping textures. Even more cool aspect of this is that now instead of creating textures in your 3D painter you are creating materials in it, so think of it like doing the shading work in realtime in DDO, then export and hook the textures to the shader in Octane and click render.

if you want to add stuff like SSS or translucency you can always mix the out the result with a pure SSS material, so yes, the material uses extra nodes,but it should be as flexible as any other Octane shader, just ignore those "under the hood" nodes.

its a shame that in 3dsmax there doesn't seem to be a way of grouping or creating a compound to hide them as they can be a bit intimidating,but to me it was a decision between how close I wanted to get to the source or just create a simple texture conversion plus a simpler shader, I chose the former as I believe the scanned data and calibration detail from DDO deserves a more accurate solution.
miko3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixonoid » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:24 am

pixonoid Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:24 am
gordonrobb wrote:
pixonoid wrote:Hi,

I have a problem now with the new Sepcualr workflow Octane (srgb) profile
it was kinda working in 2.02 (when they added the profile), i only had to invrt the roughness
but now in 2.03 (they fixed the naming of the maps - and something i dont understand) the roughness is off, inverting doesnt help and i cant imagine playing with the gamma would do any good.

In Lightwave it's pretty much plug and play, although.... What I need to do is have Diffus and Spcular at gamma 2.2 in the texture node, and both Roughness and Normal as gamma 1. Try that and see what it looks like. Also, have the index value in your glossy material set to 1. I am working on a shader (with lots of help from Miko3D :) ) for lightwave that uses fall-off to get the fresnel looking right.

Try those settings and let us know what it looks like.

Working on it, what i do sofar is
Glossy Material - index 1
plug materials in the right slots
all materials 2.2 (changing gamma doesn help sofar, overbright or to much contrast)
adding a gradient mix in front of the roughness makes it a lil better

my confusion pretty much comes from 2.02 to 20.3 in quixel
i "only" had to invert the roughness to get a almost correct result

currently im struggling in quixel 2.03 since it gives kinda different results on metalness or srgb it even lacks a detail map from a smart material,
maybe im not proficient enough in shadercoding to decide if this is on purpose, i was expecting quixel to manipualte the maps for me so i can work on a solid base in quixel.
I think the Artist working in Quixel shouldnt worry about a different look in quixel couse of the export targets, but maybe im wrong and its meant that way
Attachments
comparison_sheet.png
GPU - 2x Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB + 1x EVGA GTX980 TI sc | CPU - Intel i7-4790K@ 4.0GHz | OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - 32 GB RAM | 3Dsmax - many
pixonoid
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixonoid » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:54 am

pixonoid Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:54 am
@miko3d

Thanks mate for the information,
ill stick to your pbr disney profile shader then, and yes i wanna choke autodesk everytime i wish for a "select, group selected into container" in the material editor ....

im just confused as in why adding a special octane srgb profile to quixel when you have to alter the input textures again in octane.
Doesnt make that much sense to me and makes everything difficult,

otherwise id suggest not giving artist different profiles in quixel but instead only seperate the workflows (spec, metalness)
and make shaders for the different CC tools interpretating and correcting stuff inside the suites shader. (as you did, awesome job)
GPU - 2x Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB + 1x EVGA GTX980 TI sc | CPU - Intel i7-4790K@ 4.0GHz | OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - 32 GB RAM | 3Dsmax - many
pixonoid
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby miko3d » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:55 am

miko3d Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:55 am
pixonoid wrote:

all materials 2.2 (changing gamma doesn help sofar, overbright or to much contrast)

Hi Pixonoid,

remember that when you set IOR to 1 you are not using any fresnel,a very important factor .You Will need to hook up your own.

pixonoid wrote:

currently im struggling in quixel 2.03 since it gives kinda different results on metalness or srgb it even lacks a detail map from a smart material,
maybe im not proficient enough in shadercoding to decide if this is on purpose, i was expecting quixel to manipualte the maps for me so i can work on a solid base in quixel.
I think the Artist working in Quixel shouldnt worry about a different look in quixel couse of the export targets, but maybe im wrong and its meant that way

those 3DO renders look like the metalness and specular workflows are not fully setup for some materials, hence the difference.They recently implemented the proper metalness (GGX ) workflow with Unreal 1:1 so i guess they are still in the material update process,best thing will be to raise this issue to them.
miko3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixonoid » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:06 pm

pixonoid Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:06 pm
miko3d wrote:
pixonoid wrote:

Hi Pixonoid,

remember that when you set IOR to 1 you are not using any fresnel,a very important factor .You Will need to hook up your own.

pixonoid wrote:

those 3DO renders look like the metalness and specular workflows are not fully setup for some materials, hence the difference.They recently implemented the proper metalness (GGX ) workflow with Unreal 1:1 so i guess they are still in the material update process,best thing will be to raise this issue to them.

:) index of 1 of course its lacking a falloff thanks for reminding
thats why i make those comparisons, some stuff is not working and there are no information whatsoever wich materials are not done yet, just sad i have to find out myself with try and error.
Last edited by pixonoid on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pixonoid
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gordonrobb » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:33 pm

gordonrobb Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:33 pm
There's an Octane (sRGB) profile because people (mainly me :)) were looking for a non-metalness workflow version of the exporter.

I can honestly say, when I plug the roughness into a glossy node, with the gamma at 1, it looks almost identical to how it looks in 3DO.

11893910_10153506090679713_2081968498816038847_o.jpg
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:38 pm

ristoraven Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:38 pm
Now getting back at Quixel.

gordonrobb wrote:There's an Octane (sRGB) profile because people (mainly me :)) were looking for a non-metalness workflow version of the exporter.

I can honestly say, when I plug the roughness into a glossy node, with the gamma at 1, it looks almost identical to how it looks in 3DO.

So, you are using diffuse, roughness and normal? Three maps?

Does the custom PBR work inside Lightwave or do you suggest using Quixels Octane sRGB maps as plug and play (roughness into glossy, gamma at 1)?

Thanks.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ristoraven » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:49 pm

ristoraven Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:49 pm
Forget that, what I just wrote.

I get pretty good results with plug and play using diffuse, reflect, roughness and normal - and just set the roughness gamma to 1.

I think I'll close this fiddling around and go with this setup. It is already better looking crap what I have ever made, so.. why not. I need to start a major build up now.
ristoraven
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:51 pm

bepeg4d Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:51 pm
Hi all,
I have posted a Lua script for Standalone to speed up the MBB QUIXEL PBR material creation:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=52320
Basically it downloads the MBB_QUIXEL_PBR.orbx material provided by miko3d, asks for the albedo texture path, automatically imports all the needed maps in the proper pins, and then, the resulting material will be saved as an .orbx file if needed.
Let me know if it works as expected and if it could be improved ;)
Happy GPU rendering,
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby gordonrobb » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 pm

gordonrobb Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 pm
ristoraven wrote:Now getting back at Quixel.

gordonrobb wrote:There's an Octane (sRGB) profile because people (mainly me :)) were looking for a non-metalness workflow version of the exporter.

So, you are using diffuse, roughness and normal? Three maps?

Does the custom PBR work inside Lightwave or do you suggest using Quixels Octane sRGB maps as plug and play (roughness into glossy, gamma at 1)?

Thanks.

Sorry, I completely missed this. I use Albedo (diffuse), Specular, Roughness and Normal. First 2 set to gamma 2.2, last 2 set to gamma 1
Windows 8 Pro | i7 3770 OC | 32 GB Ram | Single Titan (plus Black Edition on Order) | Octane Lightwave |
gordonrobb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion