John Carmacks tweat

Forums: John Carmacks tweat
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: John Carmacks tweat

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:27 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:27 am
I've got my hands on a Samsung Gear VR, and it does come with a Panoramic viewer.
However, the samples files are structured like this:

0001-image-sample_nx.jpg.x
0001-image-sample_ny.jpg.x
0001-image-sample_nz.jpg.x
0001-image-sample_nz.thm

I can't open the images with Photoshop, even by removing the .x extension, so I don't know how can I convert the Octane output file to be used with the VR pano viewer... Any tips will be greatly appreciated, even via PM.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:46 am

abstrax Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:46 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:I've got my hands on a Samsung Gear VR, and it does come with a Panoramic viewer.
However, the samples files are structured like this:

0001-image-sample_nx.jpg.x
0001-image-sample_ny.jpg.x
0001-image-sample_nz.jpg.x
0001-image-sample_nz.thm

I can't open the images with Photoshop, even by removing the .x extension, so I don't know how can I convert the Octane output file to be used with the VR pano viewer... Any tips will be greatly appreciated, even via PM.

I'm not sure about that. The application we tested, detects the panoramic format from the aspect ratio of the image and we just had to copy them into the Oculus\360Photos folder. I think the mapping from the image aspect ratio works like this:

2:1 -> equirectangular (spherical) mono
4:1 -> equirectangular (spherical) stereo
6:1 -> cube map mono
12:1 -> cube map stereo
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:23 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:23 am
In Octane, what setting do I have to use?
I can see two presets for VR: Gear VR cube map, and Gear VR stereo cube map. For some reason, the Gear VR stereo cube map doesn't seems to render on my computer, maybe the resolution is too high?
Also, as for the panoramic camera, which settings should I use? Projection: Cube map and Sereo: Side-by-side?
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:29 am

abstrax Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:29 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:In Octane, what setting do I have to use?
I can see two presets for VR: Gear VR cube map, and Gear VR stereo cube map. For some reason, the Gear VR stereo cube map doesn't seems to render on my computer, maybe the resolution is too high?

The resolution is too high for the OpenGL viewport. Switch to "Software" in the application preferences.

Also, as for the panoramic camera, which settings should I use? Projection: Cube map and Sereo: Side-by-side?

If you want stereo, you would pick the output mode "side-by-side" and either projection "cube map" or "spherical". The first one would require an image aspect ratio of 12:1, the latter an aspect ratio of 4:1.

But again, I'm not sure if the current Oculus 360 Photos software can deal with stereo panoramas (probably not) this since we have been using a prototype. You would have to try it out.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:16 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:16 am
I did some test. I wasn't sure before, but the sample panos that come with the Gear VR are all mono.
In fact, in the sample folder there are only six side cubic images for one eye. There are supposed to be twelve to be stereo.
On the Oculus forum someone asked the same question, and the reply was that at the moment the app supports only mono panoramas.

and then, on January 27, John Carmack twitted this
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/statu ... 1543775232

But i guess this new version is not out yet.
I've got my Gear VR from Oculus Japan, but apparently you guys have better connections than me... :cry:
Any chance I can have your prototype app? :cry:
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:42 am

Goldorak Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:42 am
Rikk The Gaijin wrote:I did some test. I wasn't sure before, but the sample panos that come with the Gear VR are all mono.
In fact, in the sample folder there are only six side cubic images for one eye. There are supposed to be twelve to be stereo.
On the Oculus forum someone asked the same question, and the reply was that at the moment the app supports only mono panoramas.

and then, on January 27, John Carmack twitted this
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/statu ... 1543775232

But i guess this new version is not out yet.
I've got my Gear VR from Oculus Japan, but apparently you guys have better connections than me... :cry:
Any chance I can have your prototype app? :cry:

It's not ours to share. But I have been told it will be pushed out to the Gear VR store soon.

We also built a lua based viewer for both the DK2 and GearVR that is able to display this format correctly. We'll push that out to the forums once we've tested it more - we just got it working today.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:18 am

bepeg4d Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:18 am
Goldorak wrote:We also built a lua based viewer for both the DK2 and GearVR that is able to display this format correctly. We'll push that out to the forums once we've tested it more - we just got it working today.

wow great, can't wait :)
thanks for working on this ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby rappet » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:32 am

rappet Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:32 am
bepeg4d wrote:
Goldorak wrote:We also built a lua based viewer for both the DK2 and GearVR that is able to display this format correctly. We'll push that out to the forums once we've tested it more - we just got it working today.

wow great, can't wait :)
thanks for working on this ;)
ciao beppe

Same here :) ;)
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Refracty » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Refracty Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:40 pm
When???
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby r-username » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:51 pm

r-username Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:51 pm
I have some spare cuda cores to do some testing :)
i7 960 - W7x64 - 12 GB - 2x GTX 780ti
http://www.startsimple.com/ - http://www.gigavr.com/
r-username
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion