Which feature do you need the most?

Forums: Which feature do you need the most?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Which feature do you need the most?

Volumetric: fire, smoke, clouds
17%
Hair&Fur
13%
Render Passes
11%
Particles
10%
Mixing of daylight and HDRI environment
9%
Multilight
7%
Region Render
6%
Rounded edges
6%
Multi UV channels
6%
Undo
5%
Internal Texture Mapping (planar, box, spherical, cylindrical, camera and so on)
4%
Network render
4%
Subdivision surfaces (OpenSubDiv)
4%

Total votes : 2228

Re: Which feature do you need the most?

Postby abstrax » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:44 am

abstrax Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:44 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Guys, please don't forget that we very much need Gradients in SDK as well, so plugs can use them.

This should have been in the poll.. unless you were already planning on adding them very soon.

They are already accessible via the SDK 1.21.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:48 am

abstrax Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:48 am
MOSFET wrote:
Refracty wrote:I wished Object Motion Blur was on the list ;)

Karba did mention Motion Blur along with Displacement in the first post of this thread. I assume he meant Object Motion Blur as Camera Based MB will ship with Octane v1.5.

We are working on full motion blur, but there will be only camera motion blur in version 1.5. It's not the very last version of Octane ;)
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby gabrielefx » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:54 am

gabrielefx Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:54 am
hair+fur is a sort of instancing algorithm, I think that in Max is possible to interface Octane with the embedded plugin.
In Octane there aren't forces to bend hair: wind, gravity, attractors, collision detection, etc.

Nobody wants distributed or network render!...that's incredible...

The most beautiful feature that I found in several software was: relight. (maxwell, thea, fryrender, indigo).

Imagine to adjust all the lights tweaking some parameters after the render. We could balance with precision the illumination of the scene.
Yes, Octane is interactive, but sometime, when the render is finished, we say: If I changed the temperature of that light....
quad Titan Kepler 6GB + quad Titan X Pascal 12GB + quad GTX1080 8GB + dual GTX1080Ti 11GB
gabrielefx
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mbetke » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 am

mbetke Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 am
I think most freelancer / students don't have multiple computers. Just one workstation and thats it. I also do renderings on three GPU sometimes and work with the fourth on another project. You are a rare user with your 8+ GPU setup.

Multilight is an awesome feature I really loved in Maxwell beside the lens stuff. But I need other features like mixed HDr/sun more in my kind of work.
PURE3D Visualisierungen
Sys: Intel Core i9-12900K, 128GB RAM, 2x 4090 RTX, Windows 11 Pro x64, 3ds Max 2024.2
mbetke
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby manalokos » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:25 am

manalokos Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:25 am
Karba wrote:That is why we make this poll. We can see real situation.
Undo has only 5% probably because users mostly use plugins(not standalone) and they have undo in a host application.

Does that mean that all the work you've to refurbish the octane node tree will serve only 5% of the users? :?
It is too bad, I've got used into working with the standalone and I can say it is far better than any plugin,
the node tree as is in the v1.2 is just amazing, material editing in the standalone is also incredibly effective.
With the improvements set into the v1.5 octane tree, big complicated projects will get incredibly simple.

Regarding multilight, it is even better to do it by hand making single render for each light and mixing it all together, or at least groups of lights.

Regards
Filipe
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MOSFET » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:20 pm

MOSFET Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:20 pm
Relevant to this discussion - Nextlimit has posted previews of new Maxwell 3 features which overlap this thread:

Volumetrics - http://www.maxwellrender.com/V3/feature/volumetrics

The new volumetric feature in Maxwell can work in several ways: as a constant density volumetric object - useful for large atmospheric haze effects or thick fog, it can work with particles files in several formats, including RealFlow .bin, and also with density fields/voxels directly from Maya or Houdini.

OpenSubDiv (Bolded text highlights a benefit to Octane's Clound rendering service) - http://www.maxwellrender.com/V3/feature/pixaropensubdiv

The new Subdivision feature allows you to subdivide low-polygon objects into smooth surfaces, by implementing Pixar OpenSubdiv. Because it's subdividing the geometry only at render time - your scene files take up far less space and can be transfered much faster around your network. OpenSubdiv is owned by Pixar. Copyright (C) Pixar. All rights reserved

Deep Compositing - http://www.maxwellrender.com/V3/feature/deepcompositing

Maxwell Render 3 can now render in 'deep image' format, which stores color as well as depth information per pixel, making it much easier to composite rendered objects together as well as eliminating troublesome edge artifacts. You can save the deep info in either .EXR or .DTEX formats, in rgba or alpha

Alembic - http://www.maxwellrender.com/V3/feature/alembic

The Alembic file format allows for very efficient storage of geometry and other scene data, which can now be referenced directly in Maxwell V3. Support for Alembic includes static and animated geometry as well as particles. It also works with the Exocortex CRATE suite of Alembic plugins.

Multilight - http://www.maxwellrender.com/V3/feature/fastml

See your Multilight changes instantly in the main render view. Even Scattering and Dispersion update instantly - thanks to the new GPU accelerated Fast Multilight display!

Blockable Emitters - http://www.maxwellrender.com/V3/feature ... leemitters

Now you can isolate the contribution of each emitter to each individual object in the scene, allowing you to have objects not affected by certain emitters in the scene. This way, you have custom control over the lighting of each object in your scene.
MOSFET
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby TBFX » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 pm

TBFX Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 pm
gabrielefx wrote:hair+fur is a sort of instancing algorithm, I think that in Max is possible to interface Octane with the embedded plugin.
In Octane there aren't forces to bend hair: wind, gravity, attractors, collision detection, etc.

I don't think it's about having a dynamic hair and fur system in Octane, it's about being able to render hair primitives, in a memory and geometrically efficient way, that are generated in animation software and exported through alembic, of course it would be even better to have a render time hair generation system that would take dynamic guides from the host application and populate on the fly but lets see what is possible.

Octane is a Renderer and as such should eventually be able to render anything you can generate using the tools available in your 3d software, with or without a plugin.

gabrielefx wrote:Nobody wants distributed or network render!...that's incredible...

Yeah that's a bit strange but I guess like me (I also did not vote for this) it's possibly that only people who do a lot of animation see this as important and they probably use a plugin version rather than the standalone and so already have network rendering capability.

T.
Win10 x64|i7-9750H 2.6 GHz|32 GB RAM | RTX2080 max Q 8GB
TBFX
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Elvissuperstar007 Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:15 pm
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby j7th » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 pm

j7th Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:25 pm
Win 7 x64 | GTX560Ti | Core i7 960 3.2GHz | 24GB RAM
j7th
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seekerfinder » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Seekerfinder Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:59 pm
Karba,
May I suggest giving this post a bit of exposure of the (Release Candidate - EDIT:) General Discussion forum? It seems as though it has reached critical mass now and quite a small proportion of the user base has voted it seems. Perhaps make it a news item on the home page? Even send an email to all users? I think it is critical to get more people involved, not just those who happen to snoop into this forum. Whatever the team will do with the info received will be up to Otoy of course but at least lets get a bigger representation.

Also, I think the plugins vs standalone could complicate things. For instance, I am amazed that so few have voted for internal texture mapping. It's critical for an efficient workflow. But that's probably because most host applications would have efficient texture mapping. But some don't... I, for one still find Standalone a very useful application at times and would love to see this feature there. Perhaps it's only Standalone users like me who also asked for internal TM. There seems to be some sense in splitting the pole in Standalone and Plugins sections. Just a thought...

As a final note, your asking the feature priority question goes a long way in terms of restoring some faith in Otoy's commitment to its users (me included). I really hope you guys will use it (except for internal textures - put that on top of the list...).

Seeker
Win 8(64) | P9X79-E WS | i7-3930K | 32GB | GTX Titan & GTX 780Ti | SketchUP | Revit | Beta tester for Revit & Sketchup plugins for Octane
Seekerfinder
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion