Since I work mostly in Standalone to maximize resources, my wishes are UI related:
- Search filter for material properties in the node inspector. I'd like to find the Medium input quickly, by just typing "medium" in a search field. I always have to hunt for it.
- Node input/output ordering via separate lists, instead of relying on horizontal position of input/output nodes.
- Button in the panel below the render to quickly set 1:1, 1:2 and 1:4 resolution of the Film Settings.
- One-click halving or doubling of render resolution in Film Settings.
- Vertical nodes with visible names.
- Ability to connect one node to multiple inputs on another node simultaneously without that being all nodes.
- Ability to expand multiple properties to nodes or inputs/outputs at once.
- Back and forth buttons to quickly switch between two node views.
- Multiple node views.
- Ability to "walk" up and down nodes. If I'm looking at a diffuse material, I'd like to see the parent connection by clicking a button instead of having to hunt for it in the node view.
- Walking in and out of input/output nodes. If I'm at an input node, a button click should allow me to switch to the corresponding output node.
- Deactivate a node connection without removing it, so you don't lose the connection setup.
- Allow selecting all UDIM textures at once in the file dialog in the Image Tiles node.
- Allow reordering UDIM textures by drag and drop in the Image Tiles node.
Some more complex things:
- Pack all input or output nodes to a single node. Sometimes they are hard to find, if they are scattered all over the place.
- Texture spreadsheet, where I can quickly set all textures to load at half or quarter resolution or in a compressed format. It shouldn't take more than one minute to reduce a scene to fit on your graphics card memory.
- Geometry spreadsheet, where I can quickly see the memory consumption of each piece of geometry and change properties for whether it should be subdivided or not.
- Each of those spreadsheets should also display, whether the geometry or texture is inside the camera view, so you can turn them off, if needed without fiddling with unhooking geometry groups.
- Spreadsheet picker: Like picking materials, a tool to pick items for view in the texture or geometry spreadsheet would save time. Scenario: All textures are quarter resolution, but I want a few specific hero textures to be full resolution.
- Benchmark spreadsheet, where each material and geometry is benchmarked, so you can locate performance issues. (I don't know if that's possible or if it really makes sense. There might be a better way.)
- Artificial memory limiter, so a scene can be adjusted with spreadsheets to render on smaller GPUs than the one you have.
Memory management is important in Octane, so there should be lots of one-click tools to reduce memory consumption quickly.
- Allow longer interval between denoising. 120 seconds is too small.
- Ability to denoise only on demand.
I believe each of these items could be quite effective time savers.