development update

Forums: development update
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Re: development update

Postby resmas » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:33 am

resmas Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:33 am
Hello there.

Great news, I think this weekend started really well. :D :D :D
Looking forward to test all your hard work.

a big THANK YOU for the hard work. ;) ;) ;)

Hope 1.21 bring some of those features, but please take in consideration some others.

like Undo and region Rendering

Would be nice if for some "simple features" that we don't have yet you guys could make a statement, for example:

Undo - Not possible for this and that reason
Region Rendering - possible but still need this and that to be available.
etc

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the work that as been done, and cant even imagine the time spent in alembic, new node, etc

But would be a really great feedback to those who keep this forum as a tool to Octane success.

cheer to all, and many thanks.

resmas
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
https://pt-pt.facebook.com/arq.resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixelrush » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 am

pixelrush Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 am
Good to see something useful has been going on behind the curtain.
Not sure when Blender gets Alembic. Seems like the last cg program to get it.
Been worked on here and there though. As usual Blender is long on new orders and short of cooks.
Possibly not available for a while yet....who knows really, 6 months, a year... :roll:
On the home front I havent been able to verify that Octane Blender integration conforms to the open source license even with Ton at BF so I haven't purchased it.
Despite your good works I will most likely move over to Cycles since its free and I can network render animations easily and the capability is pretty good. Looking at a GTX780Ti for both quad boxes I have added recently, in addition to the GTX460 on the duo listed in the sig. Incidentally this farm set up is nearly 400x faster (calc wise, not including traffic) than the old Pentium box I played around with Indigo on originally (CPU only then)....it will find a last use as the Client/Master box. ;)
Cheers

Edit: btw Marcus good effort there. Obviously there are many strategic aspects to consider/satisfy. I think we all realised Octane was probably a bit of a mess under the hood going back to early Refractive days. Hopefully after this latest rejigging development of new capability can be the focus.. Its important to keep moving on that front. We all get a bit older and impatient....another Xmas almost here...and all too soon gone :)
Last edited by pixelrush on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kevinshane » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:03 pm

kevinshane Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:03 pm
I think the most extremely important features will be like this:

1.region render
2.displacement
3.render pass

please we all need this!! :( :( :( :( and we wait for a very long time :( :( :( :(
MSI GT70 laptop i7-3610QM+32G+GTX680M 4G

Octane Arch/Interior Viz Tutorials
http://www.kshane.com
kevinshane
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby j7th » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:26 pm

j7th Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:26 pm
kevinshane wrote:I think the most extremely important features will be like this:

1.region render
2.displacement
3.render pass

please we all need this!! :( :( :( :( and we wait for a very long time :( :( :( :(

read this again:

"There is also - since quite a while - work going on for features after 1.5, but I will keep my mouth shut and only say that I think you will like the new stuff. My current guess is that the next post-1.5 release will arrive some time in the first months of next year. But this is still quite blurry, because there is still a lot to do."
Win 7 x64 | GTX560Ti | Core i7 960 3.2GHz | 24GB RAM
j7th
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Zay Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:10 pm
For 1.5 we aim to support loading animated geometry and camera data from Alembic files (with camera motion blur, without object/geometry motion blur).

Does that mean moving objects in front of a steady camera will not have motion blur? If that's true, will there be object motion blur in the future or was the plan only to add camera motion blur?
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby RayTracey » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 pm

RayTracey Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:37 pm
Zay wrote:For 1.5 we aim to support loading animated geometry and camera data from Alembic files (with camera motion blur, without object/geometry motion blur).

Does that mean moving objects in front of a steady camera will not have motion blur? If that's true, will there be object motion blur in the future or was the plan only to add camera motion blur?

Yes of course. Full motion blur is on the roadmap, the statement was referring to what you can expect in 1.5
RayTracey
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Paulski » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:14 am

Paulski Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:14 am
Great post. Would love to see stuff like that on a monthly basis, like, what is the current state of affairs with the development in a monthly wrap-up.
Knowing whats going on in the background is always very comforting as a user. Specially with Software like Octane that is far away from being an established horse like Vray.

I don't care if you guys had setbacks, in the sense of I don't mind the update just being: "There is a lot of shit to do that we didn't expect to come up, that will take a few weeks or months".
Thats nothing suprising in software development, it's just good to know for a user so you can make your own estimates on when something new could come out or just to know that you can't expect something new in the next weeks.
Paulski
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby oguzbir » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:33 am

oguzbir Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:33 am
These are looking really good.

cast shadows on-off visible by camera on-off are the most important ones for me. So thank you for that.

Octane is has become very solid especially for the last releases. It just works.
With all these major rewrites and coding. I bet it's hard to do them all.
But I sincerely will be looking for all those small updates as well, so that we can have a much more enjoyable workflow in our projects.

Thanks,
My Portfolio
windows 10 Pro. |1070 + 1070 + 1070 + 1070 | i7 @4.5Ghz
oguzbir
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 am

PolderAnimation Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 am
I love the idea of Alembic support and a time slider!
Keep it up!
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Hris » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 am

Hris Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 am
Thank You for Your hard work dear OctaneRender Team:)
But this news about "new node system" and TWO features like "cast shadow on-off" or "visible for camera on-off" - it is bad news. It's 2013 year. Displacement is STANDARD for all serious render engines. The same situation is for MOTION BLUR and options for visiblity for reflections, refractions, more light options and UV mapping options (cylinder, sphere, cube etc).
New node system is not milestone in development :( You said that it was hardwork, but users need new features to increase realism.
I love OctaneRender, but i stopped to use it in commercial production. I'm getting back to Cinema4D render engine - maybe i have Cinema 4D R10 (2007 year!!!) but i have there displacement, motion blur and all options for visibilities (including and exluding objects from any light too).
If i have a choice to use OctaneRender (realistic engine) but without elementary features and Cinema4D engine (less realistic) but with a lof of features - actually my choice is for Cinema 4D :(
I'm sad because i bought 2 x Gtx 580 (3 gb ram) and i was sure that in 2013 i'll get more possibilities with new OctaneRender. But there is no new OctaneRenderer.
I hope, and i belive that your Team (OctaneRender programmers) will find solutions for all these missing features:) You made one of the most user friendly and fastest GPU engine. And i'm sure you'll push this software to the next level of possibilities. I hope.
Greetings and thank You one more time for your hardwork.
Krzysztof Czerwiński
Win 7 64 bit, i7-970 OC to 3.9 Ghz, GTX580 3GB + GTX560 Ti 2GB, 18 GB Ram
Hris
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion