Which feature do you need the most?

Forums: Which feature do you need the most?
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Which feature do you need the most?

Volumetric: fire, smoke, clouds
17%
Hair&Fur
13%
Render Passes
11%
Particles
10%
Mixing of daylight and HDRI environment
9%
Multilight
7%
Region Render
6%
Rounded edges
6%
Multi UV channels
6%
Undo
5%
Internal Texture Mapping (planar, box, spherical, cylindrical, camera and so on)
4%
Network render
4%
Subdivision surfaces (OpenSubDiv)
4%

Total votes : 2228

Re: Which feature do you need the most?

Postby J.C » Thu May 18, 2023 9:13 pm

J.C Thu May 18, 2023 9:13 pm
elsksa wrote:It's quite dependent to one's hardware. Have you considered the sub-sampling option? More often than not overlooked.

I will check subsampling with denoiser during interactive rendering but in general it does not speed up rendering. Most of my scenes render up to 2 times longer when denoiser is enabled.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Thu May 18, 2023 10:56 pm

elsksa Thu May 18, 2023 10:56 pm
J.C wrote:

I will check subsampling with denoiser during interactive rendering but in general it does not speed up rendering.[/quote]
Not meant to, but to "improve preview rendering responsiveness". Works like a charm, for that.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Fri May 19, 2023 12:00 pm

J.C Fri May 19, 2023 12:00 pm
elsksa wrote:
J.C wrote:

I will check subsampling with denoiser during interactive rendering but in general it does not speed up rendering.

Not meant to, but to "improve preview rendering responsiveness". Works like a charm, for that.[/quote]

Nope, subsampling doesn't help, still feels less responsive.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Fri May 19, 2023 1:38 pm

elsksa Fri May 19, 2023 1:38 pm
[quote="J.C"
Nope, subsampling doesn't help, still feels less responsive.[/quote]
I'll eventually share a .gif, as it does more often than not. Perhaps, not in your specific case.
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MicLarc87 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:19 am

MicLarc87 Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:19 am
Bidirectional path tracing!

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4lfGWr

I really don't understand why otoy doesn't want to invest on it.
MicLarc87
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby elsksa » Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:19 pm

elsksa Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:19 pm
MicLarc87 wrote:Bidirectional path tracing!

https://www.shadertoy.com/view/4lfGWr

I really don't understand why otoy doesn't want to invest on it.

Here's why: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81839&p=425377#p425377
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jessestormer » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:20 pm

jessestormer Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:20 pm
Something that has been #1 on my wish-list for a long time... is an alpha channel / matte for the reflection pass when using 'render layer'.

Essentially (particularly on light-colored backgrounds) setting the reflection to 'add blend mode' is not enough. Part of the compositing is obscuring other reflections from behind the object as well -- where the 'alpha channel' comes in, or even the AOV (including reflection)

Render Layer AOV Alpha Comparison.jpg
comparison of how 'layer reflection' appears currently on a white bg, vs when there is a matte/alpha for the reflection

alpha reflec example.jpg
alpha channel as it appears when matted with AOV

Thank you! I am hoping this shows how setting the reflection pass to add mode is not enough -- and why an alpha channel for the reflection would be INCREDIBLY helpful, or even the ability to render the reflection matte for that object (without multiple render settings/exports) Although it is currently technically possible to get the passes necessary... 'render layer' removes the reflection matte that is necessary from the AOV pass, making this a two-step render process

I appreciate all of your teams' work on improving Octane
jessestormer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Pavlov » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:30 pm

Pavlov Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:30 pm
Well, none of them :)

I'd like if Devs could concentrate on some long standing issues instead.

Here you find a short list, i hope it helps.

DISPLACEMENT

Texture Displacement in Octane has severe limitations (honestly, more limitations than any other engine i know) since it requires a single "map" to work. No way to use procedurals or mixing maps, or using more complex setups - i.e. mixing two different displacement maps using a procedural or a Dirt node, just to make a quick example. Everything has to be baked to a huge tileable map before displacement can use it, causing big slowdowns and also "killing" some possibilities.
BTW i'm not considering Vertex displacement as a viable solution. In most cases it needs a too high subdivision of the mesh in advance OR too high subdivisions into the node, for sure it's not a solution which can be largely used.

just in order to provide a quick example, plase check attachment. A tree with snow.
We do this easily in Corona, and there is just no way to do same in Octane.
With a simple setup in Octane, we can get snow on a tree using a Falloff map which mixes bark and snow materials.
Then, we'd like to give snow some thickness, and in order to do this we'd need to plug the Falloff-based mask in displacement: not possible.
I tried same thing with Vertex displacement and it's impossible to get a good result again without a ridiculously high polycount, which makes tweaking just too slow.

I could report several examplex of this kind of limitation but hopefully this is enough to understand.

CHAOS NODE

Again, current Displacement implementation is making Chaos node useless - and this is another highly needed feature.
When we map a large terrain with a PBR material (i.e. rock) we need to break tiling and Chaos node does this, but you just cannot plug chaos node into displacement since you have to bake it.
Baking will BTW result *again* in a tileable map, which will show tiling in displacement, killing the purpose of Chaos node itself. Plus, it will not even match with color, specular, etc, since these are not baked and thus not tiled.

The good new is that fixing displacement you will also fix this one automatically :)

VOLUMETRIC CLIPPING

Actually i use Scatter voluemtric for distance haze or such atmospheric FX, but it has a nasty clipping issue which makes it unuseable for subtle effects such a delicate distance fog.
If you ever worked on a large environment scene you have met this for sure.
Try to use any volumetric tool for partially dissolving something at 50km from camera (i.e a mountain). You will see that when you try to fade the volumetric, it will suddently disappear.
Basically there is no way to get a subtle volumetric effect which is under a given level of intensity since it's "clipped out". No matter of ray epsilon or anything you can try, this will happen 100% of the times, both if you use volumetric in Render target or onto a geometry with Specular material. Hopefully this can be fixed.
This brings to another FR:

ATMOSPHERIC EFFECTS

Most engines offer solutions for Z-depth fog, subtle distance haze and such.
Hopefully you manage to add something similar to Octane (working with HDRs and not just with physical sky) in order to make environment artist's life easier and avoiding boring post-processing operations.
BTW this could be part of a general Volumetric improvement, up to you how to implement this, but in general for environments a separate tool for this kind of FX is needed.

Thank you for your attention,
Paolo
Attachments
Screenshot_1.jpg
I7 960 3.2 GHZ - 6GB ram - GTS 250 display only - Asus GTX 470
Pavlov
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby leave2 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:37 pm

leave2 Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:37 pm
Displacements are by far Octanes most obvious weakness. The implementation of them is terrible, and lag behind even ancient renderers like Modos. Like already stated above, vertex displacements just aren't an option for 99% of people interested in speed and efficiency.

I remember the most I realised how bad they were. I needed to add two displacements together to create slightly embossed text on a logo, and when using vertex, it added 3 million triangles to a scene that was only 820k to begin with.

Compare that to Modo where you just drop a displacement in the shader tree and you can stack them all day.

I actually don't understand why displacements are so bad in this renderer.
leave2
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to General Discussion