Mix Shader Not Updating Unless Reconnect Each Time

Forums: Mix Shader Not Updating Unless Reconnect Each Time
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Mix Shader Not Updating Unless Reconnect Each Time

Postby botoy234 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:12 am

botoy234 Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:12 am
I am having an issue where my mix material only displays correctly if I disconnect and reconnect the nodes, so it doesn’t update when I render the final straight to the picture viewer. I’ve looked all over the forums and some posts say to use an octane object tab and to check "force update", but I have tried that, it doesn’t fix the problem. So I can only get it to work in live viewer by disconnecting and reconnecting the nodes, but not in Picture Viewer.

Strange notes that may help diagnose:
If I open an a new file and make a new mix shader from scratch, it doesn't need to be disconnected and reconnected to work. So I initially thought it might be a problem with the old shader itself. And yet, when I use the old shader in a new file, it also works fine. So then I thought the problem might be geo. And then if I copy the geometry to a new file and use it with the copied shader that works too, and all without octane object tags, either.

So the only thing I can conclude is it must be some general C4D setting I've changed by accident. I can work around by setting up a new file this time, but in some situations that could be bad.

3090, Ryzen 9 5900x, 64 GB
botoy234
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Mix Shader Not Updating Unless Reconnect Each Time

Postby aoktar » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:41 pm

aoktar Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:41 pm
Having shared nodes between materials extremely problematic for mix materials. Also mix materials are not working well for updates because of this. Updates are valid if you just use a texture which is owned by a material, it will not update other material. This is C4D based issue because C4D's material system is not designed to own a node which is owned by other material.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to General Discussion