questions about recent licensing changes and other things

Forums: questions about recent licensing changes and other things
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

questions about recent licensing changes and other things

Postby Timmaigh! » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:52 pm

Timmaigh! Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:52 pm
Hey there,

my current subscription will be coming to an end in few weeks and i have few questions. I am currently subscribed to Studio version, that is limited to 2 GPUs. From my understanding, there have been some changes to the subscription system before the end of the last year and the new Studio subscription, or whatever is it in its place does not have the 2 GPU limitation anymore. Is this right? I only check this stuff once a year, when i am about to pay for another year, but i remember randomly reading something along the line back in November or December.

If this is true and i will be indeed able to use more than 2 GPUs, does Octane work even with GPUs in e-gpu enclosure? If yes, does the e-GPU counts as another GPU in the computer the e-GPU is connected to, or is it then separate render node. I have zero experience with either slave render nodes and e-gpus, since i never had more than single rig with more than 2 GPUs. Now however, i got a completely new rig, with 2 new GPUs, so it came across my mind, that i could perhaps keep one of my current GPUs (rtx3090), buy the enclosure for it and further boost my rendering speed. Instead of selling it alongside the rest of old machine, as i originally intended, since its not a place for it inside the case, nor another free PCI-E slot on the motherboard.

Your input and advices on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
R9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz, 2x RTX 4090, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB, Kingston KC3000 1TB, WD Caviar Gold 6TB, Win11 Pro 64bit
Timmaigh!
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: questions about recent licensing changes and other things

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:21 am

bepeg4d Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:21 am
Hi,
yes correct, now there is only on type of subscription, called Studio+, with same features of previous Enterprise+ subscription.

So, not only the 2x GPUs limit is gone, now you can also use the Network rendering feature, with 10x Render-Nodes licenses included!

About e-GPU, yes, you could place the RTX 3090 into an eGPU box, if your motherboard has a Thunderbolt 3/4 port, and render with 3x GPUs.
Via eGPU, it is roughly like having the GPU connected to an internal PCI-E x4 slot.
Please note that it could be difficult to place RTX 3090 in eGPU boxes, a lot of models are taking more than 2x slots, so you could need to keep the eGPU box opened.

Alternatively, you could connect both machines via Ethernet (better to have 10Gbit), use the Render-Node on the old machine, connected via Network render to the new Workstation, and render with 3x GPUs in a different way.

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Re: questions about recent licensing changes and other things

Postby Timmaigh! » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:39 am

Timmaigh! Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:39 am
Thanks Beppe!

This is more or less what i needed to know.

Obviously, if i would be buying the GPU enclosure, i would do my due dilligence first to find out, whether my 3090 fits inside. Someone in my country on local reselling site is selling Lenovo Legion BoostStation for 200 EUROs, i was looking at that one.

Other than that, i need to find out, whether the USB4 on my new motherboard supports Thunderbolt 3 and thus E-GPU. Thats another key question.

And yeah, keeping the current rig as is and use it on network is another option, its still on the table, but if the e-gpu one was possible, i would rather prefer that one.
R9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz, 2x RTX 4090, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Kingston KC3000 2TB, Kingston KC3000 1TB, WD Caviar Gold 6TB, Win11 Pro 64bit
Timmaigh!
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion